1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1960's Mosrite Ventures Bass Wiring Diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kuys, Jan 24, 2012.

1. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    I got this on my bench yesterday. After finally getting the action playable and getting the truss rod to move again. I have an issue with the wiring. The owner had wired two replacement pickups into the bass but I don't believe he wired them correctly. I know the bass needs a new jack. That's a given. I need help digging up a schematic. I've had zero luck finding one online.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    This is the original wiring:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoftV3iWCPtP90_MFwIjrHKhrn6Z6eGDSndc3DE6lmZrgpDYDMG2ZE8y_7.

The symbology is odd at best, but, basically it's two pickups connected to a three-way pickup selector switch, connected to a master volume and tone. Or as TB's wiring guru line6man draws them, like this:

4365822719_b461b36989_o.

Yours is a Gibson switch, so use the middle one.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's weird. I posted a reply and now it's gone.... Maybe I forgot to hit submit?

That's a nice bass! I had two single pickup Ventures basses. What happened to the original Carvin/Mosrite pickups? Are those Duncans in there now?

The wiring to the switch is very standard, as are the controls.

Just follow this:

[​IMG]

4. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    The great red whale has been slain.

Thank you for your help guys. I followed the original diagram.

Attached Files:

5. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Can we get clips of it? :D

6. ErnieCox

ErnieCox

Aug 12, 2013
    Hello my name is Ernie, I have a 64 Mosrite Bass I was told, it is a single pickup, on the volume pot the # is 1346503. I have not removed the neck to see the stamped date. Anyway it sounds good, but when you let go of the strings it hums rather loud, I have checked the continuity from the bridge to the ground on the pots also each string. All is well there but it looks like someone has been soldering on the pots, a little sloppy but not factory looking. Can you tell me how this bass is suppose to be wired. Also do you think that a shield job will take care of the hum? I have a 67 Mosrite Combo, shielded it and no hum at all, going through a 65 Fender Princeton Reverb amp, but the bass hums much louder than the Combo did. Thank you for any help you have to offer. Ernie