1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale 1961 American Standard Upright Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by flatback, Dec 12, 2017.

1. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Price:
    Strings:
    For Sale: beautiful original condition American Standard Bass from, I believe, 1961. The bass went unused and sat in a corner for most of the past 40 years except for the occasional West Marin Jam. When I bought it I had Matt Bohn take off the top (it looked beautiful and untouched inside) reglued the bassbar and pinned the neck. The neck had the ever present separation at the heal (pictured, but had not actually done more) that he glued and reset and pinned from the fingerboard (pictured) for Bluegrass players this is the ultimate rare 43 inch scale Standard. Matt also cut the bridge and installed the exceptional (and rare ) MPM titanium free floating adjusters that allow the top half of the bridge to float on a pivot for maximum resonance (they are $200 by themselves) This bass has the deep wide even rich American Standard sound that can be heard on thousands of albums in Jazz and Country and Roots and Folk and Bluegrass.
    Chinese basses cannot compare to the beefy American Made quality of a mid century bass like this. Eastern Maple and Rosewood. And new 5/8 th endpin and socket with wooden endpin.
    I love the bass but I have more instruments then I can play and it should be in the hands of someone who can put it to good use. Gut strings or slap strings sound huge, jazz strings growl and thump.
    Cosmetically the bass has a bridge scratch ( someone obviously slipped the bridge at some point) that I have not retouched (as I said a lot of players feel they are worth more with their scars) but it could easily be touched up for a more polished look. Sounds great with a pickup and better with a good mic.
    Ultimate Roots and Blugrass Bass.

OBO

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Steinhart

Jeff Steinhart Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Hi. Where are you in California? Thanks

3. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    I am in the Bay Area. Bolinas Specifically.
    I can bring it in to SF or somewhere closer if you want to check it out.
    P

4. Jeff Steinhart

Jeff Steinhart Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Will probably be heading to Santa Cruz to see friends or Humbolt to see my son soon I’ll contact you then. Thanks. Happy Holidays!

5. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bump great bass.

6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    The best sounding old US plywood basses ever made....!