1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1961 Fender Jazz: Refinishing Project Color?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Dec 15, 2018.

1. I know its an unpopular opinion but I prefer the subdued colors like black or sunburst. Never been a fan of the pastel or bright stuff.

2. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    My vote is seafoam green or sonic blue with a matching headstock. That looks fantastic with tort.

6tzguy likes this.
  3. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    I looked for these quite a bit when I was doing this project 1960 Fender Jazz 5-String, with no luck. If you find them available for sale, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know where.

4. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    I say leave it... there is nothing more genuine '70s looking than a '60s bass that has had its color stripped off.

6tzguy likes this.
  5. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I called Fender and they're not available for sale even through the Custom Shop. Found an authentic set for sale on Ebay for $1500, lol.

DrewinHouston likes this.
  6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    That's my problem with it, I'm trying to remove as much of that "70s era vibe" it had when I got it (and still has to a degree). Original cloth wiring replaced with steel braided, 70s pots, etc. besides all of the lousy strip/sanding/finish work. What were these dope smoking hippies thinking 40 years ago? If only they knew how valuable these would one day become. . .

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    That could be polishing compound, not Olympic White.

Yes, acrylic color coat and nitro clear, or just acrylic color coat and no clear, would be correct.

A reproduction mute set will turn up on E-Bay eventually, and will probably only cost you 30 or 40 bucks when it does. Just keep your eyes peeled. Or just tell Gord that you want the mute screw holes and bridge cover holes retained, and let him figure it out.

8. In 1978? I think were thinking disco sucks by then.

50 years ago? They were getting back to nature,man!

:)

6tzguy and Fresh Eddie like this.
  9. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Fenders were always workhorses and at the time wood was the thing, so why pay money for a new bass when the old one is made out of wood? Haha. If you want a '60s vibe them definitely paint it white or some other color and play the thing like crazy.

10. maximus

maximus

Oct 13, 2006
    Play around with the mod shop options on Fender's website to test what the different colors would look like:

Jazz Bass | Mod Shop

11. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    I recall seeing them listed on an Australian site (I think) but out of stock, otherwise it seems that if you want a set you have to buy a bass with them.

12. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    If it was my bass I would finish it in Olympic White but aged a bit (not reliced - tinted) so it would look a bit creamy as they do as time goes by.
    The perfect color combo with choice tort imo.
    A matching headstock in that Color/shade would be the bomb.
    My Custom Shop 62 P has that very finish and I love it.

IMG_20181012_064438541.

MG Wolf likes this.
  13. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    This is exactly the look I'm going for except your bass is too yellow for my taste. I want the finish to be more of an "off white" color as these really didn't yellow much over the years due to the use of an acrylic color coat with no nitro clear. Is that the color that bass looked new or has it yellowed over the years? Nitro clear coat I assume?

The shop that did the appraisal for my bass (which is only a 90 minute drive away) also does restoration/refinishing work. They quoted me a price of about half of some of other places where I would have to ship it and the guy that I talked to already knew about the whole acrylic vs. nitro issue plus he's done custom colors such as Sonic Blue and Candy Apple Red before so that's probably who I'm going with. I know a lot of people here recommended Gord in Canada but that would involve shipping the entire bass clear across the country not to mention crossing a border. I ship stuff all the time but this one bothers me. Max I can insure it is $5,000 via FedEx, I would want more than that.

14. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    This is the look I'm going for. This is a refin but has that cream color to it without being yellowed.

31443220447_716cffb113_z.

jallenbass, JIO, 6tzguy and 4 others like this.
  15. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Yep that photo is what I'm talking about! So classy!
    My bass in real life looks about halfway between my photo and yours. Not the best photo I've ever taken I'll admit. Still on the yellower side of cream though. All nitro finish btw that has yellowed a bit over time.
    Great you've found someone you trust nearby that you can hand the bass over to in person. No way would I be trusting a courier with an instrument like yours!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    PolkaHero likes this.
  16. Kevin Teed

Kevin Teed

Mar 8, 2013
    With a tort guard, I'd have to go for white.

PolkaHero likes this.
  17. Furutan

Furutan

Sep 5, 2018
    Go with authentic. Painted headstocks were rare items.

18. dannydabiker

dannydabiker

May 24, 2011
    That bass looks vintage and mojo filled as it is!!!! Leave that puppy alone!!!

Fresh Eddie likes this.
  19. Aladinsane1969

Aladinsane1969 Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I would go with Burgandy Mist Metallic -- that color looks so phenomenal under stage lights. I have a Squire VM Jaguar Bass that I'm seriously considering having refinished in that color.

Burgundy Mist Metallic.PNG

20. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    There are so many safe colored basses out there, why add another? I love black instruments, but if I was doing a refin, a color that is not so typical would get the call.
    That said, Sherwood Green Metallic looks amazing on a J with rosewood fingerboard and tort.
    1394805446-noname2.

wraub, Kevin Teed, jackn1202 and 2 others like this.