1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1961 Fender Jazz: Refinishing Project Color?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Dec 15, 2018.

1. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I figure, why waste a good opportunity to take a closer look at the finish on my Jazz. Built in November '06. 1964 NOS Jazz Bass.

I took the pick guard off to have a look when I first got it. The exposed finish and finish under the pick guard were the same color back then. I guess that was about a decade ago, maybe a little more.

Upon my closer inspection today, not only has the color changed, but it's starting to get some checking, there are lots of dings and dents, but mostly it's just really dirty!

KepMC6uDOOHXTdC_qMzpoSX9iJ84qFZlCBzUY1qPXemIslln2GWFOsgXFePR0bK6cAC_-vLZgybV1ajAlHr=w883-h662-no.

_6rGfmzFIXJlSVP33LV10tb6X5_jTqyaqjI5gE98XcEmiyMxMkSR37lJzWh8XNlgrFN2AhuS8GiiUqxZxtR=w883-h662-no.

HhC32OF6P9UyCd_s8A28RXiU5o5_dZCtt2L7aO0XCctrBZVQi0Zw7tmi3chckGBP9pqW4W59Km3vINjJ-CQ=w883-h662-no.

_51BWFt5pkSAupGB7a2O-2tvceJ7o7Aa21GRDBcjbph3if-YxSXBsPHhevfdij-at-Z4vhRHOoDlcnnVSAz=w883-h662-no.

It's kind of turning a pink color on the back. Same on the heal of the where my forearm rests. I think that's a reaction to sweat.
    bRQc5CCH-GvKZQxlRIzKdP4lzrFLuomDjA4uor1wbE3aSXc-XtN1mFSCWdkGpY2q076QAIMM80aVzPYPK_a=w883-h662-no.
    2EGq3E39ARZmxv_J-Bq2lx3y1iX9SCyT0mstC0aBYVmwU6EiI18gXgEYFG1QlJTx2tNIJjkhhciv-_VjHcU=w883-h662-no.

fjQ3xUGcC51LlqzYckZ6dMhGZWbTEA9S_S9rY-8JPa0xy4nB6W8PW8nbJKsegkldb7oVtnzQbMcDyaEvo57=w883-h662-no.

oVc5SRLWrAIDDKzxq99S_SjTd7IpqxupDMhW5_6I1BCDMkkrwhT84TRfkTcSPIOW6RhHUsLrP7i0xEKG5ze=w883-h662-no.
    fVbMd4PFGqgRjWy4NmQH_2rGOsGPCmB250vRNIX75ZLfodkcmppmz3kpZ17xzei4pbaI7OCrPNu_s9B33Bs=w497-h662-no.
    Jeo32nDjmJTiCweMFT4vSuNlflwpuNBg0tf8cO0XUekJ7tpZkKY_kdHd7RkYIYSep28rJOAPjaV7JonrPHE=w883-h662-no.

F71xxy9gtPEi0O0aEIbZIygcmi8TqxCBDfqnsUY5qhp-nFj7C4jxO0EgoDMfvC0favZuOdJDWln0Dr44vFY=w883-h662-no.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Kevin Teed, JIO, Midak and 1 other person like this.
  2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Is that a nitro based white coat with a nitro clear coat over it? Did your bass get exposed to a lot of smoke and/or sunlight over the last 10 years?

3. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Go burgundy mist !!!!!

Aladinsane1969 likes this.
  4. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I believe that's right. Nitro color coat and nitro clear coat. To be very honest, this thread is the first time I'm hearing about the acrylic color coat. I always assumed those early basses were just all nitro.

And yes, my bass has been exposed. I had it hanging on a wall in my music room for about three years and that room got quite a bit of indirect light. It's done pretty much every gig I've done since I've had it... lots of smoky bar gigs, and lots of outdoor gigs in the Texas heat and sun.
    I obviously don't wipe my bass down;) But like Sturgill Simpson says,,, I don't need to change my strings, cuz the dirt don't hurt the way I sing.

5. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Good to know about how the nitro holds up over the years. Mine won't be getting out too much, I plan on just using it mainly for recording. It might see one or two gigs a year which won't be smoky environments so I'm not too concerned with the white yellowing even with the nitro finish.

Refer to the color chart I posted originally in this thread. If it says "Lucite" under the color, that means that specific color was an acrylic based laquer back in the early 1960s.

6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Except that that is Lake Placid Blue amber'd to green.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  7. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I love TB for learning stuff like this. I wonder how true the CS is as far as the finishes? Maybe it is an acrylic color coat. Maybe I could email fender with my SN and find out?

As far as mine aging, I never really thought about keeping it any any particular condition. I don't think I've "abused" it, but I haven't "babied" it either. It's been a player. Been a lot of places, and done a lot of gigs. Over the past year or so, I have start thinking about how having it out in sunny room might change the finish. My understanding is that UV light is what really changes the color more than anything.

Before I got my Jazz, I played a Telecaster ('69 refin / referb). I had saved up all my $$ to buy this Jazz and the day I go in to buy it, there's the Telecaster and that's what I ended up with. Hard to remember that far back, but the The Jazz was this creamy light yellow color. I had no idea at the time, but I think it was actually Olympic White.

8. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That's so cool. I've really been digging the the Lake Placid Blue with tort lately, and if that's what happens to it over time, that would not make me mad.

jackn1202 and Aladinsane1969 like this.
  9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    The FCS goes so far but as @The Bass Clef pointed out about MJT finishes, they go the extra mile to replicate an aged nitro finish, which were thin and prone to shrinking and amber-ing. Fender does relic-ing to various degrees but I've never thought there colours were as close to an aged finish as the could be.

hennessybass and The Bass Clef like this.
  10. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I think MJT might go too far with the aged finish thing. In my conversations with them about my project, they said even with their "closet classic" aging, the bass will pick up dings and scratches just from the handling between their process and when it get backs to me! Were the original Fender finishes really that bad? I know they didn't hold up well over the years, but wow. I think I want something a little more durable.

11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Initially no, but 50's-60's thin lacquer coatings shrink over time and UV, heat and cold breaks it down as well. But to achieve that look in a short time requires handling/applying materials differently and yes, it most likely won't be prone to being stable. The price of "instant relic". If it had a durable poly coating it wouldn't look the same.

12. pistonrod8

pistonrod8

Apr 5, 2018
    I don't mean to drag this post down with Squire talk, but the Olympic Whiter Custom Vibe 60's Jazz is great looking guitar. IMG_20180529_121810488.

hennessybass likes this.
  13. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    The Squier looks too white and the newer tort guards don't look as good as the old ones, lol.

14. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    It's an understatement to say those pickguards don't look as good as the old ones, they are straight up hideous. Not sure what that Squier has to do with this thread at all???

15. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Spitfire pickguards is making some nice (but pricy) tort guards.
    New, aged, different shades of tort, etc... if anyone is interested.

JIO likes this.
  16. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    For 60's thin lacquer coatings only and only if exposed/played. You'll still find "closet classics" that have been in a case for years only slightly amber'd.

hennessybass likes this.
  17. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    fullsizeoutput_621.

jackn1202 and hennessybass like this.
  18. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Update!

I just saw this video on FB that features my tech who is working on the project. My bass is featured at about 6:00 into the video. I'd say he's going above and beyond what I expected, didn't think he would be adding a veneer to the headstock not to mention some of the other skilled prep work before he paints it!

MG Wolf and hennessybass like this.
  19. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That is too cool. That veneer to thicken up the headstock is amazing.
    Very awesome see all that, and to have that video for your memories.
    I think you are going to be very happy and have a very bad ass bass when he is done.

PolkaHero likes this.
  20. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I was in Chicago for the holidays, and went to Chicago Music Exchange. Very cool store.
    Saw this bass and it reminded me of this thread, so I snapped a quick pic.
    HaiXsqUzUPOANdqXfggsP0zfxopbuY-QFxRV9R4-5-MsQEiUusVLWI-ys23vApLYrC-YjAHWcYA9x0Etn8o=w497-h662-no.