1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1961 Fender Jazz: Refinishing Project Color?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Dec 15, 2018.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    That's a Jazz from the mid to late 70s. Looks like an Olympic White that has yellowed with age. I think Fender was still using nitro for the clear coats at this point but the base color was poly? My tech is correct that many of the early Oly Whites didn't yellow much as they didn't have a nitro clear over them and the base was acrylic. Love how he's questioning the 3 knob configuration, obviously he's done his homework! I may install a stack knob config at some point but I've always preferred the 3 knob arrangement (so did Jaco, lol).

2. +1 for Olympic white, because it was the original color, and because it would look great with the tort PG. I would view it as a restoration project. Whole lotta nope for shell pink.

PolkaHero likes this.
  3. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    +1.
    You can tell he's given the project a lot of thought.

PolkaHero likes this.
  4. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Shoreline Gold + tort.

5. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    JIO likes this.
  6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    hennessybass likes this.
  7. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Long term plan for this bass is to get a new neck, at which time I'll match up the headstock, but I'll definitely give another vote to oly white!

IMG_0150.

Axstar likes this.
  8. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    What year P bass is that?

9. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    2007 MIM

10. Furutan

Furutan

Sep 5, 2018
    This reminds me of how Charlie's Guitars in Dallas used to be (Charlie died some years ago). In 1975 I found a 1954 Strat neck in a junk barrel in the back of a former music store that was long closed and by then did nothing but recone speakers. Some idiot had sanded off the face of the peg head, but this was the real deal. It still had the date in pencil under the finish at the butt of the neck. I sent it to Charlie's and when it came back it was almost like new. He'd left the varnish over the date intact and the ruts in the fingerboard were still somewhat visible, but it had an absolutely correct decal (commissioned by Charlie - these were not commercial decals). It was gorgeous.

I later learned that I was not the only one with the good taste to choose Charlie's. Fellow customers included Ronnie Wood, Keith Richards, SRV and others.

BTW, that closed-down music store from the 1950s was located in Buddy Holly's hometown of Lubbock, Texas. Considering how small a town it had been in the 50's I have no doubt that he knew the original owner of that '54.

11. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Update!

Got a call from my tech today that my bass is completed, that only took one month! Here's a couple of teaser pics he sent me, note the color contrast between the exposed wood vs. the wood covered by the pickguard and control plate. I believe he absolutely nailed the look I was going for.

46857530212_8402eb65b2_o.

46909628061_026df7530e_o.

12. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Very Nice!

PolkaHero likes this.
  13. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Pics of the front and back of the headstock. The crack that was previously filled with epoxy has now been filled with a piece of maple and refinished, and has almost disappeared.

31970994627_0312dc0fa1_o.

31970997727_31a4b0953d_o.

Before pic of headstock:

45997604385_f1f852dfc4_c.

14. Jigmay

Jigmay

Mar 24, 2004
    Haligonia
    Excellent, excellent! I have an early 60's Jazz that's been refinished and I would love to have that done to it!

PolkaHero likes this.