1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1962 AV Precision colors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wostbass, Mar 4, 2008.

1. wostbass

wostbass

Nov 27, 2006
    Utrecht, NL, EU
    I have a chance to buy a '62 American Vintage Precision for a good price. It looks great, and it comes with the original case and everything. But what about the color? The seller claims it's original Ice Blue Metallic, but I've never seen a 62AVRI P in that color. Could this be a refin? There appears to be some paint leftovers around the neck heel, probably from the body. Could this point toward a refin? (the seller didn't have a picture of the neck pocket)

p1.

p3.

All other opinions on the 62RI AV are very much appreciated too :smug:

2. not sure, but it sure is an ugly finish IMO

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Since '02, fender dropped all the previously available color assortments, and now only have black, white, and sunburst.

But before that they used to offer; car red, fiesta red, lpb blue, ice blue, inca silver, seafoam green, daphne blue.

That picture sucks, can't tell if it's ice blue or silver.
    It might be one of the special run FSR ice blue basses made for Mars Music. It's dated from that same time-frame, so nothing screams refin to me.
    Maybe ask him if it came from there, and at least get some clearer pictures.

4. wostbass

wostbass

Nov 27, 2006
    Utrecht, NL, EU
    Thanks for the history lesson :) I didn't realize Fender used to make so many exciting colors.

But yeah, the pictures suck. I'm going to check it out in person tonight. Hopefully that can take away all my doubts.

5. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Looks Ice Blue to these old eyes! But, to play devil's advocate, make sure it's not a Mexi body in Agave Blue. Just a thought! Pretty sure the Mars Music special run Ice Blues were AV Jazzes too/

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    My harshest criticism of fender is that they don't anymore. I'll confirm the information and add that the paint color matches the body so you couldn't judge refin from that.

Its original.

7. wostbass

wostbass

Nov 27, 2006
    Utrecht, NL, EU
    Thanks for the input guys! I just got home... along with my new bass :):):) As far as I can tell everything is original, except for strap locks that were installed once. And the finish is definately IBM. Looks very nice and it feels very nitro too, which I think is a plus.
    One thing that kinda worried me was the neck pocket, which appeared to be a bit messy. It's a snug fit for the neck, but all that excessive paint and extra holes made me think the paint job must have been done really messy. Nevertheless, the finish on the rest of the body is in excellent condition.

p4.

BTW, I paid €850,-. That's pretty fair price I think (considering European prices).