1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1962 Jazz Bass Craigslist $1875.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 57pbass, Jun 8, 2012.

1. George Mann

George Mann Inactive

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    He needs to do a little more to prove it!

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    decal looks like a waterslide decal...

3. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    Looks pretty origiignnall to me :p

4. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    '62, huh? Where are the mutes? '63 maybe. I'd need to see better pics. Bridge looks pretty clean.

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Yes, it's perfectly normal to sell a bass on CL for a fraction of its easily determined value. No chance of this being a scam, not at all.

It comes with a few acres of Florida swampland thrown in for free, too.

6. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    I don't know, it looks pretty Good and I personally have heard of MUCH MUCH lower prices.

7. Not a '62 as there are no holes for the string mutes. All '62s were sold with individual string mutes.

8. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    62 had 2 stack v/t knobs, not 3 knob V V T config, could be 63 or 64

9. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Edit

10. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Umm yeah, no that is definitely not true in any way.

There are plenty of original 62's w/o stack knobs.

11. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
  12. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    I'm curious if it's a 63 with a high 62 numbered plate.

There is no evidence of mutes, and also the tolex case has the black handle and black leather ends on them, instead of the brown.
    Aside from that though, it looks to me exactly the way it should.

Oh and the decal looks just slightly further up the headstock than mine. However it looks very correct in all other aspects.

13. Hard to tell. Pickguard does look like it's shrunk a bit.

14. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    I think it looks pretty right. If I was located near the seller I'd be having a look at it. Maybe it's a scam or maybe it's not.

15. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    It is definitely an old bass. He may be off on the year, and there is no way to tell how much is original. Finish looks right, tuners look right. Bridge may be a replacement. No pics of the guts and no high res pics at all. I might have a gander at it myself if I was in the neighborhood, but a potential scam may not involve the legitimacy of the bass pictured. I wouldn't walk into a viewing with cash in hand.
    What I find most curious is that the ad is still active. If this was for real, it would be gone by now.

16. In amongst the greedy bastards who would gladly take our vintage Fender money for a poorly-reliced MIM, I believe there may still be the occasional unwitting owner of *some old guitar-thing* that they just need to get rid of... if it's legit, it will be gone soon. If it's fake but still convincing, also gone. If it's very clearly BS, someone will still likely buy it.

17. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Message sent. Let's see...

18. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    This kind of thing pops up constantly on CL. Usually stolen pictures and no bass.

Anyone who knows enough to describe the bass properly and has enough Internet experience to post on CL will know this bass is worth many times what he's asking.

Yes, bargains can be found, but spectacular finds happen in person a d not on the net.

19. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1

Something's rotten in Denmark.