1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1962 P bass... sell or not sell...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KenToby, Apr 27, 2006.

1. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I need input to a decision I’m trying to make. I’m weighing the pros and cons of selling my REAL 1962 Fender Precision. You may have read that I bought the bass a couple of years ago and it sits in its case, hardly seeing the light of day. I do realize the historical significance, etc. of the bass however, is simply having it the key to what a true rare vintage piece is all about or should it be taken out and played? I’m not a huge fan of the P sound and I have many other basses I regularly play. Do I let it go and put the money into something I’d rather play (Fodera), or does a guy keep a real ’62 P at any cost?

Thanks,

KT...

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Tough call. Please remember that the '62 goes up in value every day. You cant say that about any modern bass you'll buy to replace it. If you have others to gig with, keep it and let it appreciate. Only sell if you are financially tapped. IMO

Rob

3. if you just want money.. sell it...theres no use in having insturments lying around collecting dust.. but if you're gonna use the money to buy a fodera then selling it is definitely a good idea ;)

4. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Just food for thought. I heard a guy on an NPR radio segment talking about how he is an investment banker, and in the last 10 years, he has recieved a higher percentage return on his vintage insturments than any of his stocks. They think the reasoning behind this has little to do with the insturments themselves, and more to do with an aging baby boomer generation with youth to relive and money to burn.

I would wait AT LEAST another 10 years before I would sell any vintage insturment. THen only reason to sell it to buy a Fodera would be if you think that having that insturment would get you more paying gigs, but to be honest, you are more likely to get hired by a stidio that wants you to record a vintage bass.

Good luck!!

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    You don't love it. Sell it to someone who loves it, and buy something you love.

In fact, sell it to me. I'm a recent convert to P basses....

6. What he said! ^ :cool:

I would not sell it.

Mike

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Stocks don't have necks that twist, and they don't loose value if you spill coffee on them. A vintage instrument seems somewhat risky to me as a pure investment, so I'd only keep it if it was something that really brought you joy. Also, you're not guarenteed the same kind of return in the next 10 years that was seen in the last 10.

If you're not selling, you're buying.

8. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I sold my real '65 and even though it had problem I regret it. But big difference I played my '65 all the time, in fact I had to or the neck would bow. As much as I would like to have a real 60's P-bass again I can't bring myself to pay the price people are charging. I fact yesterday I got a chance to play a Lakland Bob Glaub model hoping it would feel like my old 65, but sadly it didn't. Nice bass, but no vintage Fender feel to me.

I would say if you consider youself a collector keep it. If you are a player first then get something that won't collect dust.

9. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Keep it. Investment aside, that bass is irreplaceable. I have a '64 that used to be my main player. I will not part with it. I have too may gigs and too much mojo tied up in it. My wife has instructions to bury it with me when I die! (I've had that bass longer than I've had her!)

10. I say keep it. There's still a lot of life left in the vintage market.

Commreman, I feel the same way about my '64 Jazz. I've had it since a year before my wife was born... :eek:

11. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification

too true,these have really jumped in value lately.i wouldnt be so sure they will continue at this current pace.who knows.if you dont need the cash hang onto it.if you need the bread to finance your dream bass and the p is not your thing,sssss sssssss ssssssss

sell it.there i said it.

12. SELL IT TO MEEEE :hyper:

13. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Sell it - if we are talking about return on an investment of say $3000 what does it matter if it was 15% or 20% - do the math, it is a mea ningless amount - unless you have 20 -30 of these indtruments - I think if you don't play the instrument and you are not a collector sell it and get something you do play - it is a win win for everyone.

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Please sell it to someone who's going to play it, use it & love it. These are way too good to be sitting around collecting dust, or in a collectors vault. I play my '64 often, although it doesn't gig as much as she did in the past. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope you sell it for reasonalble $$ to someone who will record with it, or put it to some good use. Maybe you'll get som "good karma" that will help you find your dream bass.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

I would hang on to it as an investment.

16. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Vintage Guitar Mag has an investment portfolio of guitars that tracks the S&P very well over the last ten years. They had an update article a few issues ago.

But the 62? Sell it to me!!!

17. I just did a scan of Vintage Guitar magazine (one from 1995 and a recent one) and found that 1962 P-basses are VERY hard to find!

18. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification

+1 if you are looking at this just as an investment,sell it and put the money into something else.you may have to wait many years for it to go up enough more to make it worth your while.they have gone up recently at a crazy rate-how much more will it be worth in another ten years.who knows.but im sure you can sell it for way more than you paid for it.that on top of the fact you arent really into the bass all that much.you make money,buy what you want,invest the rest,someone who is looking for a vintage gets what they want.

hey just another opinion and thats what you asked for.in the end,totally your call.

19. I'll just add my voice to the chorus. Put it in the deepest reaches of your closet, and wait for the price to skyrocket even more as collector hysteria drives the prices up and good pieces begin to become even rarer.

20. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    dude i have a 57 and the 12th bass leo and gorge ever made after starting fender and my dad is keeping them and handing them down to me, when he passes.:bawl: :bassist: