1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1962 RI + preamp = sacrilegious

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matt"bass", Apr 20, 2006.

1. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    Would it kill a 1962 RI fender, like flea's. If someone were to make it active having staked POTs, in Vol/Vol -- Bass/Treble? is it the passive tht makes it sund so beautiful. Personally lackinh experoence and only ever heard basses that were either active or passive, i have o experiece seeing how the sound changes, when converting a bass passive to active. Im looking into getting one for my 18th birhtday in around a years time. I am not going to change it to an active i think it would be sacrilegious.

So i want your opinions on:
    1) should i look furhter into getting one
    2) has anyone got one -- how is it in general?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I personally wouldn't mind, but I prefer the control over actives - hey, worst comes to worst, just buy a spare control plate and go with that; then you can switch back no problem...

3. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    yes, i suppose the control plate i dea is nice, i do prefer actives in general having more control.

Some days i can grab my bass n take it to a blues gig, playing deep warm lines on the neck jazz pup, and then straight after play at a punk gig with the bridge humbucker, so the tonal variation is key to what i play really. How do outboard preamps compare to onboard preamps anyway?

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    how does outboard/onboard compare?

some are the same, some are different..

both the sadowsky onboard/outboard and aguilar onboard(OBP-1)/outboard(DB 924) are the same.

they both give fat bottom end and also bright highs if you want them. i prefer preamps without a mid range control...

the jretro preamp fits straight into a jazz without any modification/routing. it gives lots of flexibilty and tone shaping possibilities and you can also bypass to passive mode. (www.east-uk.com)

personally i think now that the sadowsky preamp (onboard) can have the vtc, or passive tone control, i think it is the best option out there.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a 62 Jazz RI, it's a wonderful bass. PLay one, if you like it, but it and enjoy it for a while. Then, if it suits you, set it up with a 60 Jazz stackpot arrangment, and an Aguilar OBP-1, which you can turn all the way off and leave the bass passive as well...

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Install a preamp bypass capability (on/off, either via a switch of a push/pull pot) and get the best of both worlds! :D

7. theres always an advertisement for i think east pre amps ?? on the side of talkbass, i checked them out and they have the whole stacked knob schtick, and a bypass swith that puts u right into passive, and i believe the normal volume-volume-tone deal.

8. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    Noll do one too, with a passive circuit with tone control, best of both worlds, really.

[​IMG]

9. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Get the Sadowsky outboard preamp! You will not regret! You can use it with several basses, apart from very good preamp you will have good DI for FOH sound, and there is very useful mute switch as well. I will never sell mine.

10. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    thanks for all the help, given me some things to consider and investigate,

thanks alot/

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    I say Fender`s tone is more explicit when passive. Active will hi-fi it and you *may* loose the mid-bass freqs which make a jazz be a jazz.

The option Doctor J looks interesting, since you keep the passive tone control which it vital for a Fender. The curve in the Tone control boost a little the mids and set to 0. So it passive you cut the high and boost the mid with the passive tone control.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A lot of the beloved Fender tone comes from the fact that the basses are passive, not active, but don't let that stop you! I personally wouldn't do it, but your mileage may vary.

13. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I must have missed something. If you wanted an active bass why would you go with a '62 RI? Doesn't that miss the point?