1964 Fender Jazz basses, value and spotting originals?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Feb 2, 2005.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Hey folks

I just ran into this bass from a guy I know. He's ok, but I don't want him to make me pay too much. I haven't got a clue actually how much the axe goes. I don't have any knowhow about the parts, if they are original or not... so if you could probably help me out, I'd be really thankfull to y'all.

I found out it is a CBS first year's bass... does that make it a lot less worth then a pre CBS Fender, but if proved it's made out of preCBS parts does that 'neutralize' this effect a bit?

So in fact... what would a decent price (marketprice?) be if it were totally original and if not... same question?

(I heard in the sixties there were three colours, Olympic White, 3T burst and Fiesta Red. Is it worth more when it has the painted headstock? Because it has actually..)

Any information is appreciated, thanks in advance!
  2. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Depending on the s/n you can get a better guess on pre/post CBS parts. Truth is CBS did not start altering things immediately, so many 1966 products are the same as their 1963 counterparts.

Value is all over the map, and it depends on being 100% original right down to the frets. Condition is also very important. You would have to have it appraised by a Fender expert to get a real firm price, $3000~10,000 is a reasonable range however.
  3. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Leo sold the company in November of 1964.I know they continued to use his parts until they ran out, but others will have to give you that info.The neck ought to have a date on the heel (you have to remove it from the cavity, or at least loosen it enough), the body ought to be marked there too.The tuners should be reversed Klusons in those days, and the bridge ought to be ribbed like a screw (a series of rings to spread the strings).I don't remember a painted matching headstock until 1966, but I may be wrong there.
    As for money, forget it, if it is in good shape,$3000++
    I would be careful though, just like art, people will try to rip you off here.It is not uncommon to take one old piece of a bass and build something that looks old.Take it to someone who knows, and then get a second opinion to keep them honest.
    These items continue to go through the roof in price, that doesn't mean you got a good one, just a collectable one.Good luck, and wait for some help from others here.
  4. As one who bought a '64 new back then, I know a few things..

If it's a '64, it should be an L series (serial number starting with L) or an early number in the next series. Fender also stopped using white tolex cases in '64, so it could either be a white tolex case with black leather ends or one of the first black cases )no logo)(if it does have the original case).

I need to check, but the dot spacings (of the double dots) are different on early models. I've got info on this somewhere, need to look.

It should have a matching headstock if it's a '64 and a custom color. There were quite a few custom colors available. The Olympic white color did NOT have a matching headstock, and of course Sunburst didn't either.

The postion of the "contour body" part of the headstock decal should be close to the "Fender" logo. In '65, it was moved toward the end of the headstock.

Read this article about paint:

It should have the unpainted spot in the neck pocket and the nail holes the article talks about.

That's all I can remember for now...

Hope this helps.