1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1964 Fender Precision CAR - NOW WITH PICS !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Finally! It's taken two visits from the tech to get new computer, printer scanner etc. to get along. Now that they do, here are some pics of the '64 Pbass in CAR that I picked up last week.

I've gone through most of it and it's now getting the pots and jack serviced. I'll also have to take some time to remove the black paint from the pickguard and then I can put all back together. Can't wait!
    :hyper:

IMG_3603.JPG IMG_3606.JPG IMG_3604.JPG IMG_3607.JPG IMG_3615.JPG IMG_3621.JPG IMG_3637.JPG IMG_3633.JPG IMG_3609.JPG IMG_3650.JPG

2. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Wasn't this the one that had a maple neck in the original post? That's rosewood.... ;-)

3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Knobs are unoriginal, as are the pots, I think. And the headstock face looks refinned and re-decaled. Is that the original white guard under that black paint? And check those pickup codes! They look newer.

4. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    And the intonation must be way way off set like that!

5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Yes, but I corrected my mistake in the original post a few days ago.

FranF likes this.
  6. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Ahh! gotcha.. ;-)

7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Yes to knobs. I have originals for install.

No to pots. No to headstock.

Yes to white PG. As stated, I have the materials to remove the black back to the white.

Intonation is the last thing that I'll be doing.

8. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Never saw a CF2 on a CTS or Stackpole pot. What's the rest of the number?

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Very cool, man! The pickups could be original grey-bottoms from what I can see. 64 was the first year of the grey bottoms. They should have hand-written dates underneath.

That paint wear is AWESOME

Oren Hudson and FranF like this.
  10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    After talking with the tech, I stand corrected on the pots and jack. He confirmed that, although they've been in the bass for a long long time, they are not original to the bass. Since I was having an issue with those and they are not original, I decided to get him to replace all three with quality parts rather than trying to get those to work properly. Based upon what the seller told me and comparing pics of the open bottom, I guessed that they were original with unknown numbers. Unfortunately, the seller was not completely accurate.

So, on we go. Looks like I'll be spending a very nice Saturday in the South working on getting that black paint off of the PG.

Thanks for everyone's input.

FranF likes this.
  11. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I love the original paint wear as well.

There is something written on the bottom of the PUs, but I can't make it out. When I get the body back from the tech, maybe I can see a little more.

FranF likes this.
  12. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Yes, it's like it was strung for a lefty with the saddles set like that!

FranF likes this.