1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1964 Fender RI Custom Shop Relic ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hands5, Apr 22, 2009.

1. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I started this thread at another Bass forum but anyway, I have a 64 RI CS shop Relic on layaway and 1st let me say it's proably the best bass I've ever played ( besides a "Real L series 65)and it sounds absolutely unbelievable,not to mention I got it at a GREAT Price,well well before the obligatory and insane price hike,however there's some Period of Correctness that Fender needs to seriously adress,especially for the type of scracth they are asking for this instrument

1. The current neck that's being used is quatersawn. Fender never used quatersawn for their necks on any of the 60 or 70's basses back in the day and not even on the RI's of the 80's and 90's. It was Rock Maple and also the Rosewood fingerboard was much darker than what's currently being used. It seems more like pao fero

2. The undercoating that's being used is gold. The 64 had a silver under coating

3. The tuners are small,whereas the tuners that were used back then were larger and the absence of the strap button on the back of neck is pure blasphemy. How in the world could they have missed that is beyond me....shame on them and even the dots that's being used isn't correct either

Yes these maybe minor details, but when a person ( or those who choose to ) is forking out the amount of cash for this particular instrument and a lot of it, it's the details are what you're paying for, and not to mention Fender is advertising this as a "Period Correct" instrument which isn't so, if anything the Noel Redding Signature Bass was more "Period Correct than what's being issued now,but they no longer make that bass. Again it's a great piece but it's short on details and quie a bit of it as far as a 64 RI is concerned
    As Roy Harvey would say
    Good day !.

2. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    any chance you can post some pics?

sounds like something squirrely's happening with your tuners.
    every CS creation i've seen for this era had the correct gotoh /
    kluson-style tuners.

ditto the headstock strap button.

is it possible someone's done a neck swap?

3. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    +1 for the pics, especially of the tuners.

What finish?

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    They don't put the strap button on the back of the headstock because that's were the put the customshop logo. Its just a choice they make. I agree that the undercoat is period incorrect. I would have loved a slighly darker board on my custom shop bass but when i got it, it was pretty dry. I used some lemon oil and it has darkened up nicely...

5. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    yeah I know that the CS shop logo is there in place in the place of the strap button,and that's what I was referring to whic makes it Period incorrect, thanks for the lemon oil tip

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I don't have any pics as of yet because the bass is still on layaway,however if you've seen the tuners on the MIM Roadworn Bass then these are the same tuners and they're small compared to what the 60 basses had.

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    crip it 's suppose to be nitrocellouse, but being that the bass has so many inaccuracies of Period of correctness who in the hell knows ?? the color is 2 tone sunburst

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    They put a gold undercoating on a sunburst bass? And why isn't it a 3 tone burst?

9. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I don't think the neck was swap , but then again we are talking about Fender.

10. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I haven't seen a road worn in person yet, but I just looked at the RW Jazz on the Fender website. The tuners look fairly period correct to me.

Do they look like these:
    2491017755_238960925f_b.

11. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I hear what you're saying about the light rosewood. But it also depends on the year. The 64 RI below is one of the darker boards I've seen but it was built in '97.

DSCN0265-1.

I have a '03 59 RI which isn't bad, but is no were as dark as the 64. I think they are hit or miss. Both, however completely miss the clay dots.

DSCN0254.

12. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Road Worn uses early 60s era-correct Kluson-style tuners.

The Gotoh / Kluson tuner design uses a smaller cloverleaf
    than the later Schaller-style tuners that Fender began using
    around '69 or so. 'Period correct' depends on what part
    of the 60s you're talking about.

13. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Exactly

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    yes but smaller in diameter

15. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Very strange. I'll be very interested to see pics when you get it. Every CS64RI I've seen had proper-sized machine heads.

The gold OR silver undercoat seems odd unless it was a candy colour, and it really should be a 3 tone burst, not 2. The rosewood is probably not Brazillian, which is the lovely dark rosewood they used back in the early 60s. It's a lot harder to find now, and a lot more expensive. I agree they don't look right with the lighter fingerboard...

As I say, I look forward to seeing some pics of this one.