Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1964 P bass Decal/logo location

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Funkster, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi all just wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a Feb 64 Pbass that's been refinished and the headstock decal has been sanded off. I got a new decal from the Decal shop in the UK. Spaghetti logo with the 4 patent numbers.
    I'm looking for a close up of a 64 headstock to get the correct placement and decal position so I can get it as close as possible, Any tips or suggestions for the application would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Try this page for just what you need...

http://www.guitarchina.com/news/bg/bg04/20041102/050117.htm

Don't ask me why they've got it and others don't :confused:

3. As far as tips for application...Use warm water and if you can avoid it, don't slide the decal from the paper with your fingers. To do it without using them, you can use one of those little white foam makeup applicator pads on a stick that your wife has somehwhere - use a new one though! ;) Wet it with the decal and press it down gently on the decal to hold the film with just enough pressure to anchor the end. Then pull the paper from under the film. Be careful not to stretch the decal or it will distort. The smaller Pat.Pend. decal can be moved around on a cushion of water until it's in the right place then mashed down to squash the water from underneath. But don't let my language fool you. These are delicate items and these motions and actions are small and precise. Do your work at eyeball level so you can see the tiny details of what the decal is doing - wrinkles, bubbles, or trash under the film can all ruin the application. When the decal is in place, press the water out from under it and let it dry in place before clear coating.

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Ham thank you so much, Wish me luck.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I know you already have a decal you paid for, but I just wanted to mention I read in BP a few years ago that Fender will send you a decal free of charge if you send them the bass serial# info and a picture of the bass.

Just something for future reference.

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had no Idea! :( I would have rather gotten it from them..