1964 vox amp? to buy or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Im A Sellout To, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Im A Sellout To

Im A Sellout To

Dec 26, 2005
    It's about $250

1964-'68 Vox amp V1042 60 watts

think its worth it or not?
    I love vox, so I think i'm going to.
  2. Possibly not (or more likely, probably not) something you'd want to gig with, but if you want to collect a Vox ....go for it....I believe this is a solid state amp that puts out maybe 30 watts.
  3. Im A Sellout To

Im A Sellout To

Dec 26, 2005
    Yeah- it's solid state

two 12" speakers

You don't think it can be used to gig with much.

I thought it was unique and wanted to use it at some of the tiny gigs

I figured If i try using it at the larger places (1200+) it can be miced b/c from time to time we play this one huge place but normally just 100-200 kids.

so with that being said-- still feel its not worth it?
  4. If it didn't have the Vox name on it, what would it be worth...maybe $100? As a point of reference, a brand new Peavey 60 watt combo (granted, with a single 12 inch) goes for around $250.

With an amp of this vintage, be aware that the electrolytic filter caps should be replaced, and the power cord changed out to a 3 prong.

I'm not necessarily saying "don't get it", just realize that this isn't going to be a "tone monster" and a minor amount of power supply refurbishment would be in order. I have many vintage amps, and compared to today's amps, they have limited usefulness.
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Pass. There's a reason Pete & John smashed up lots of Vox amps.
  6. Im A Sellout To

Im A Sellout To

Dec 26, 2005
    thanks alot.

You're probalry right, the name had everything to do with it.

I was hoping it'd have a special sorta tone on it. Any guess if they came with watchdog limiters on it?or if they were extra?

Basically-- i'm selling my old behringer BX1200 for $135 and putting that cash towards the vox. So I thought it became worth it.
  7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Buy it and bury it away, twenty or thirty years from now it still won't sound any good but should have collectors value.
  8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    That's what I did. I have a 1967 in near perfect condition, with the chrome cart and original Vox labeled cover. I keep it in my music room. I plan on keeping it for a long time even though I don't use it and hope its value increases over time.

The Vox being discussed here is a Essex Bass Amp. The back plate states 55 watts, but reality is, it's more like 35 watts RMS.

38 years ago, that was ok, but not today. These amps do have a cool factor about them for sure. To bad they weren't better sounding.

This is mine;

9. Clean-looking, working Essex amps bring up to their original list price of $400 in the collector market.

Of course $400 back then is like what, $2000 now?

Tone is not as big a deal for bass as it is for guitar, which is why SS was welcomed into the pro ranks for bass decades before it began to be "acceptable" for six strings. The Essex volume and sound are not really giggable any more IMO, but if it's mint and you like it, $250 is a steal.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I would say that after EIGHT YEARS that anything posted in this thread is moot! :(
  11. will33

May 22, 2006

Suppose the OP is still considering this purchase, or ya think maybe the opportunity has passed by now?.........:D