1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1965-66 Klira Twen Star Asymmetrical body shape FINAL PRICE REDUCTION

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by daveman, Jun 29, 2014.

1. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    Price:
    $225
    Strings:
    This is a very rare bass, from the Klira company in Germany. If you're a Hofner fan, you might know that Klira was a manufacturer in the same region that made similar quality basses using many of the same parts suppliers. Klira's designs tended to be a little more out there, with extreme "cat-eye" f-holes, etc. One of the rarest designs was the asymmetrical body, with one of the upper bouts facing "up" and the other facing "down." I bought this bass a number of years ago intending to restore it, but that ain't never going to happen. The biggest issue is a neck reset. Somebody attempted this with two ugly screws through the back and a shim under the neck, see pictures. The bass is surprisingly playable as-is, but it deserves better. Another issue is the electronics. The original pickups work, and sound quite good, but the selector switch doesn't function properly. The top position gives both pickups on full, the middle is both pickups weak, the bottom is (again) both pickups on full. The tone control doesn't seem to do anything - though the tone is pretty good as-is. A previous owner attached piezo pickups to the outside that are weak but work. They mounted these to tape which looks removable, but I will leave that to the new owner. Many of the screw holes for the pickups, electronics and bridge have become loose over time and there are many places where new holes have been made next to the old ones. All in all it will benefit from a renovation by somebody who knows what they're doing. I bought it five years ago for $350 -probably dumb but I just love the offbeat vibe of this bass. Now, I need to raise some cash for a knee surgery for my dog, so the PRICE REDUCED to $225 SHIPPED. No case, but I pack well. I'm really not interested in trades. Last thing: I'm relatively new to selling on Talkbass but have 100% rating over more than a decade of selling stuff on eBay (look me up, my name there is Daveman14.) I'd rather sell my instruments here, to other players. This is a really cool bass at a steal price. If you have some wood skills or a few hundred to invest, you will have a great looking/playing/sounding bass that's beyond rare. Thanks for looking.
    IMG_3290.JPG IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3231.JPG IMG_3239.JPG IMG_3237.JPG IMG_3235.JPG IMG_3234.JPG IMG_3238.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    PayPal??

3. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    PayPal is fine. Message me if interested.

4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    This is totally worth the work you put in. Klira's are their own thing soundwise and this one is rare as hens teeth.

5. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    I've never owned a Hofner, but this Klira is a true hollow body and the top looks like spruce. Even in its current condition, the sound is rich and resonant, especially considering the relatively small body size.

6. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    Question received via "conversations"
    "Hi. A couple of questions about the Klira. Do the pickups work at all? The real ones. Also, is it supposed to be a bolt on neck or a set neck? Can I assume it weighs next to nothing? Thanks, Joe"

Hi Joe. The neck should be a set neck. My guess is that it started to come unglued and some moron put the two fat phillips head screws in to stabilize it. Otherwise it looks undamaged. I'm thinking that the shim under the neck is also non-original. The original pickups both actually work and sound great. The bass gets a really nice full tone. The issue is the selector switch. In the front position, both pickups are on, center position - very weak output, bridge position both pickups are on. The other issue is the tone control - it doesn't seem to function. This of course all assumes that the config is 1 volume control, 1 tone control, pickup selector switch. And yes, it's light as a feather. The bass is a real steal for $250. So crazy rare and unique and playable (and good-sounding) as-is, warts and all.

Just so you know, I'm going to post this on the thread too - the bass is generating some interest and may as well share.

7. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm so very tempted.

8. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    I would bet you'll never see another asymmetrical on this side of the Atlantic. Certainly not at this price.

9. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    True...forgive me if you already addressed it but how is the action? I know it has the neck issue but is it super high?

10. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    Action is probably a little high. I tend to like higher action cause I play finger style and dig in. I'm out of town for a wedding but will take a look when I get home late Monday and give a more definitive answer.

11. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sounds good. I admittedly likelier action..especially when playingfinger style. Still tempted though. :)

12. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    So, I got back home and checked out the action more thoroughly. From the nut to 12th fret it's not bad at all - just a tad higher than my Guilds and Gibsons. There is some buzzing on 13th 14th fret especially on the G. Let me be clear: It's playable as is but I'm recommending a neck reset. If that was NOT the case, I wouldn't be selling it for $250.

13. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    Final price reduction bump. If I can't get $225, I'm keeping this.

14. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
  15. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    ...and sold. Thanks, Brad!

16. HarrysBlues

HarrysBlues

Sep 14, 2014
    Wow. I'm new to collecting Kliras, and would have loved to add this to my collection. If I had seen it in time.