1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1965 Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ethanmwatson, Dec 27, 2017.

1. ethanmwatson

ethanmwatson

Dec 27, 2017
    So a friend of mine was given a 65 Jazzmaster and a 65 P bass. He found on a construction job in the basement. They said he could have both. Crazy.. Anyway I'm selling the P bass for him. I'm not sure of the value for it. Any idea? Whoever had this before I got ahold of it thought it would be a great idea to install another pickup so I know that will effect value. It's player grade for sure but it feels great. Has the original HSC.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    BrianToska and Lowbrow like this.
  2. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    IMO dont install anything. Either sell it as-is of find a good luthier. Replace that abomination EB pickup with dried alder, then get a repro pickguard. Done. As close to perfect as that instrument will ever get now.

Ampslut likes this.
  3. ethanmwatson

ethanmwatson

Dec 27, 2017
    Yeah i just meant that whoever had it before me installed that. I just plan on selling it as it. Just not sure what it's value is since it's been modified.

4. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    When will it be my turn to find something like this drool:laugh:

Awesome bass, kkinda reminds me of Billy sheehan old P bass :)

5. Don't sell it for him. Buy it from him!!!

Offer him twice what he paid for it.;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    bobyoung53 and alesreaper9 like this.
  6. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    My birth year bass. Wish I could afford it.

DJ '65 likes this.
  7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    It's worth plenty and luckily it can be restored to aesthetic specs easily. Yes, value should be affected by the mod, but a savvy player will snap it up and pay good money. Someone will have to spend some time and a good bit of $$ to source an appropriate (and GENUINE) pickguard, but that's minor compared to the promise of the end result.

alack and Mastermold like this.
  8. I traded a humbucker Telecaster bass for a 1970 fretless P bass years ago that had the same pickup in the same area, that was a fairly common mod years ago, think Mel Schacher or Berry Oakley. I never heard it though the owner took the pickup back when we traded. How's it sound, big?

9. DJ '65

DJ '65

Oct 16, 2015
    +1 and Me too!

10. Yep, buy it from him.

While I wouldn't mod a classic like that,
    I would play it that way to see what it's like.
    A fresh PG will hide the hole, if the mudbucker
    doesn't totally trip your trigger.

Ampslut likes this.
  11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You should buy it from your friend.

What I would do if I bought that:
    -remove the humbucker.
    -buy an original tort guard, and sell the cut up one to recoup some costs, since there people looking for damaged guards to repair other damaged tort guards.

then maybe or maybe not; later have the hole plugged, there are miracle places that can fix and blend that; like John k or RS guitarworks, etc.

12. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Also: depending on what it actually is, that humbucker may be worth some $ in its own right.

13. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    What has happened to the rules around this place? You must be a supporting member to ask values. This guy joined yesterday for only one purpose.

reddog, Dbassmon, Datsgor and 2 others like this.