Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1965 Fender P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bickele, Jan 29, 2006.

1. bickele

bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi!

The seller is asking 4500 Euro, about 5450 $. Do you guys think it's worth the price?

The bass is from 1965; the owner bought it in '67 after having rented it for a while. He played it professionally for 4 years, then he started playing banjo, Dobro and pedal steel and the bass got played rarely. It's been in his possession until now.

The seller is my uncle's very good friend, can be trusted 100%.
    He's been told to sell the bass for that price, but we're both trying to figure out if that's reasonable.

Serial number is L68336.

I know CBS bought Fender in January 1965. Are '65 instruments evaluated as pre CBS anyway?

Thanks!

b.

Attached Files:

2. bickele

bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    One more picture

OT: is there a way of posting larger pictures then 640X640? And how do you get them to show in the body of the thread and not as attachments?

b.

Attached Files:

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    If it's a 100% real 1965 P-bass.
    There going for around $5,500. to $6000.

4. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    It looks beautiful. Are your looking at it for it's monetary value?, or as an axe? If it's to play, try it out. Collector value has little to do with how nice these old things play and or sound.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Looks nice. Anyways, to get images up, use either Imageshack or photobucket and use the
    Code:
    [img]whateveruwantgoeshere[/img]
    Tags

6. bickele

bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway

Both. I won't get to try it because I live in Norway and the bass is in Italy.
    I remember my uncle borrowed it for a year or so when I was a kid, It sounded great! He says the neck was exellent.

b.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Killer bass. This is my personal "Holy Grail" Fender. :cool: If it's 100% original without any modifications it's price is in line with the prices I've seen. From your pictures it looks very clean.

8. bickele

bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Better pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

b.

9. bickele

bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    The 3rd string (A) is off center but the owner told me he had just unbolted the neck to check the date on the butt end of the heel, and when he put the strings back on, the A wasn't accidentally sitting properly on the saddle.

b.

10. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    If it's 100% original, then yeah, it's a good price. If it's got the original case, even better, and original hang tags (the literature that came with the bass), better still. Also, has he still got the pickup cover?

1965 is a strange year for Fender. As you said, it's in the CBS era, but then, it still carries some pre-CBS mystique with it, probably because of the continuation of the L series serial numbers into that year. Another point to remember is that CBS continued using parts from the pre-CBS era into 1965. Sure, the serial number may be 1965, but then, you might have a 1964 neck on it (check the date stamp at the end of the neck), or 1964 pickups (they should have a date on the back), or a 1964 body. Also, you can check the codes on the pots for dates - there'll be a 7 digit number, most likely starting with "137" (this is the company code for CTS, which were providing all of Fenders pots at that time). This number will indicate when the pots were made, so it'll look something like "1376508", which would mean CTS pots (137), 1965 (65), and the 8th week (08). If the company code is "304", then it'll be Stackpole, but Fender had stopped using Stackpole by this stage - I think they finished with them in 1963.

One question that I'm curious about. Are you 100% sure it's never been refinished? Maybe it's the photos, but there doesn't seem to be enough red in the sunburst for that era. I'm not saying it's definitely a refin, far from it, but it might be something that's worth asking about.

All this may sound extreme, but the price he's asking is close to market value for that bass, so he should be willing to substantiate the originality of the instrument.

11. Just a little something to think about:

Correct if i'm worng, but afaik one of the main reasons why vintage-basses are so expensive is that they have been played for many many years already.

12. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

I think you're wrong, and would say that that's got very little to do with the value of a vintage instrument.

Bassists, and musicians in general, often have a hard time accepting the fact that vintage instruments, such as this bass, can no longer be simply looked at as a musical instrument. It's now a collectable item, no different to a rare stamp, coin, or piece of 18th century French furniture. It's practical use is not of great importance to it's value - what matters is it's rarity, desirability, and originality.

Although bickele may be a bassist himself, and a good one even, the people in the market that he would be competing against for this instrument may buy the bass, and not even know how to tune it up. It may sit in a glass display case for the next 5 years, only to be sold for 10 times what it was originally purchased for.

Is that fair? Probably not. Does it suck being a musician? Yep. Is that how the world of rare and desirable items works? Most definitely! :)

13. bickele

bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    No original case, he bought it back then without one. He has the original pickup cover.

The seller told me that he bought the bass in '67 after having rented it for a while. No mods since he bought it. I doubt it got refinished or modded between '65 and '67.
    I reacted to the color myself because I remember this bass from when I was a kid when my uncle played it for a year, there was more red in the sunburst. It must be bad quality pics...
    I e-mailed the seller asking to confirm the bad quality pictures theory

Thanks

b.

14. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Well, the colour was the only thing that concerned me - other than that, it looks pretty good. Might be nice to also get some pics of the various dates I mentioned, though, and also some photos of the tuners.

15. Around the mid 1970's, bassists and guitarists began to seek out '60s and earlier Fenders to play because the quality of the then current instruments had suffered big time. CBS started redesigning them and I can remember how much worse (to me) they played and sounded. Not to mention the heavier weight. The quality was just not there!
    Now I see the '70s models fetching in the thousands just because they're 30 years old. Wish I had bought a couple of 'em to sell now! Also the Japanese have been buying up a lot of the true vintage instuments which has steadily increased the market value over the last twenty years. It's a shame these instuments will spend the rest of time in a display case half a world away.

16. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
  17. Why? Just curious & trying to learn something here... :eyebrow:

18. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Yeah, I'm curious as well. I've got my doubts about it, but I think it's really hard to tell from the quality of the photos.

19. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    whats with nobody spotting the glaringly obvious non-original knobs?

smiles
    Lucy

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003