1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 1965 Fender Precision Bass P Bass - FURTHER PRICE DROP

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ad9000, Feb 21, 2017.

1. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    I’ve owned this bass for about 20 years, but since I rarely play it (I am much more of a J-Bass user) I am looking to generate some cash and get it in the hands of someone who will get some good regular use out of it.

The bass has all original parts with the exception of the capacitor on the tone control, which looks like a replacement [NOTE: I've been looking at some photos of pots in 100% original P's from this era, and they all have the capacitor that's in my bass. So, my initial observation appears to be incorrect and the one in there is most likely original].
    FURTHER NOTE: It was just brought to my attention by a potential buyer that the pickup appears to more from the '69-'70 era, and after seeing some documentation I agree with his assessment. I was misled by the presence of cloth covered lead wires, which appear to have been substituted for the original plastic covered wires. As a result, I've reduced the price further. Sorry for the lack of due diligence on this before putting up the listing.

The body (but not the neck) was refinished in thin nitrocellulose by the previous owner, and I would describe it as a “semi-pro” finish job. He did it right as far as building up multiple color and clear coats, but there are numerous sanding scratches under the clear coat, a small sand-through spot on the bass side cutaway and some minor unevenness here and there. I personally like the finish how it is, since it has what I would consider an authentically aged (but not relic) appearance. Click on the link below for some detailed pictures - I'm probably making it sound worse than it actually appears!

Due to the presence of yellowish white paint in the control cavity and neck pocket, I assume Olympic White was the original color (sob).

The pickups are nice and strong and sound exactly like they should. Tonally, I’d describe this bass as very resonant and a bit more bright and present than most similar age P’s I’ve encountered. It plays very evenly up and down the neck and string-to-string balance is excellent. Weight is 8 pounds, 0 ounces with the chrome bridge covers on, plus or minus an ounce.

Here is the info re. dating the bass:
    Pot codes are 137 6534 70-2125-0034 (34th week of 1965)
    Neck stamp: 5 SEP65C
    Pickup looks to be non original, most likely from '69-'70.
    Serial # is 100XXX (in the range for Aug - Oct '65)
    The case is blonde tolex, in fair-to-good condition. It is functional and all latches work. Fender started using black tolex cases in late ’64, but I was told by a friend who worked for Fender in the ‘60’s that blonde cases were sometimes supplied with basses well into '65. Or, the case could have been with a previous year bass and mixed up at the store that originally sold it.

Condition-wise, here are the details:
    The truss rod functions well and has plenty of slack in both directions.
    The frets are in good shape with no buzzing. The previous owner had some crowning done north of the 13th fret. I’ve almost always used flatwounds, so fret wear has been minimal on my watch. The bass is strung with med. gauge D’Addario Chromes and the action is low.
    There are a couple of cracks at the high end of the fingerboard (shown in one of the photos), but they've been stable since I’ve owned the bass. A competent repairperson could use the rosewood dust and glue method to remedy them.
    There is some finish wear on the treble side of the neck, as shown in one of the photos.
    Due to the typical cellulose pickguard shrinkage, there are cracks traversing the uppermost screw holes on each side, which I was able to successfully repair (see photos), at least as far as being able to keep the pieces together.
    It looks like the pickup wires were resoldered to the pots and output jack at some point – that would have had to happen when the body refinish was done. I don't know if there was another pickup installed in the past, but the original has been in since I've owned it.

I would be more interested in cash than trades, but it wouldn’t hurt to run any trade offers by me (preferably via conversation). I’d be most interested in an early ‘70’s Jazz Bass plus cash, a Guild Starfire II plus cash, or high-end fretted 5 and 6-string instruments.

$3750 $3600 shipped within the continental US
    I’d be open to shipping out of the US, but that would be at buyer’s expense.
    Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Many more photos here:
    Alan Deremo has shared 23 photos with you!

65%20P%20body%20front%20nu.

65%20P%20head%20to%20toe%20angle.
    65%20P%20in%20case.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. fenderdefender

fenderdefender

Jun 3, 2011
    My birthday bass! Id have to sell my Harley to swing it though very fair price my man!

3. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    fu*k me.

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  4. DD Gunz

DD Gunz

Jun 18, 2015
    California
    Just wow. I don't know what else to say. Beautiful bass and a timeless classic. I bet it sounds amazing.

ad9000 likes this.
  5. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Offers?

6. basspro

basspro Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Las Vegas,NV
    Guess I could part with a kidney for this beauty.

7. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

Birth year for me too. Nice.

8. jnumme

jnumme Low End To No End

Sep 19, 2010
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Won't last long . Wow amazing piece.

ad9000 likes this.
  9. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I paid waaaaaaaay more for a 65 PBass in nowhere near this nice condition.
    GLWTS!

10. I only need one testicle . This may be doable .

11. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    and SOLD

12. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    How long until you'll get the stitches removed?:)

13. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    Ha ha, it was actually someone else's testicle. I didn't ask about the stitches.

14. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

:roflmao:. Now I'm in stitches.
    Congrats to the one ball man.
    Hopefully it's off to the rodeo:whistle:.