1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale 1965 Fender Precision

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by red_rhino, Aug 22, 2018.

1. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

Price:
    $3900
    Strings:
    Time for me to let this one go. I don’t play it, I’m just not a P-bass guy.

That said, this is a splendid example of a P-bass. The person I bought this from (back in 2004, IIRC) told me the original owner played mostly in blues bands, and the wear on the back of the neck certainly indicates that the majority of that was spent in the key of G or C.

So here’s what I know: this bass is mostly original in terms of parts. Neck is stamped 5Oct 65 C, pickups are hand dated to 1966 (see photos), capacitor appears to be original. Tuners and bridge are mostly original with the exception of a replacement saddle screw and a replacement screw-bolt on the G-string machine head. (Oh yeah, reverse tuners.)

The pick guard is not original, the pots don’t appear to be original either. In the photos you will see some copper shielding that a luthier added to the bass to deal with some proximity hum.

The bass has a very old refin, and has just enough mojo to let you know that it’s seen some action. (The wood around the belt buckle rash is a bit rough.) The case is original, but not functional. It’s good for shipping purposes, but it’s old and starting to deteriorate; you can’t take it to a gig.

Weight is 7.8lbs on the bathroom scale.

Sound? If you look up P-bass in the dictionary, you might find a picture of this bass. ;-) Seriously, it sounds amazing. I have rounds on it (blasphemy, i know) but it’s just waiting for a killer set of flats to go with that tort pick guard. The one thing that’s always amazed me is how hot the output is; you’d almost swear this was an active bass.

I’m asking $3900 + actual shipping via your preferred carrier/method to the continental US only. I accept PayPal, but I prefer cashiers check, money order, or wire transfer.

No international shipping. No trades.

PM me with questions. Thanks for reading.
    65P. IMG_2126.JPG IMG_2127.JPG IMG_2128.JPG IMG_2130.JPG IMG_2131.JPG IMG_2132.JPG IMG_2133.JPG IMG_2134.JPG IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2150.JPG IMG_2151.JPG IMG_2218. IMG_2220. IMG_2221. IMG_2222. IMG_2224.

57pbass, MCF, ceerod and 26 others like this.
  2. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Absolutely beautiful bass!

red_rhino likes this.
  3. Very nice!

cressotti and red_rhino like this.
  4. 6tzguy

6tzguy 6tzguy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Orange County, Ca.
    For whom ever buys this bass, there's a company called 'Cheney' that makes replacement latches for guitar cases. I would be glad to talk to them about how to fix it. Bob ;)

red_rhino likes this.
  5. totallywink

totallywink Gold Supporting Member

I’m not a p-bass guy but this would change me - wow!
    Black with rose board fret board? Check.
    With a tort guard? Check.
    Under 8 lbs?? Double check!

Wish I could give her a new home - GLWS!

red_rhino likes this.
  6. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    drool

7. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Where in Cali?

8. ghettoshelf

ghettoshelf Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I may have to put up my C64 for sale and some other stuff. I'd love to have this bass.

ICM and red_rhino like this.
  9. My birth year bass. Damn. Can't swing it, good luck!

10. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

But that's only $73.58 per year! :thumbsup:

(And, no, that was not an offer to finance this over the next 53 years. ;))