Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1965 Fender V string Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dduck10, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. NO

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. I don't know

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. Who wants to even bother

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. dduck10

dduck10

Dec 28, 2003
    ORlando, FL
    I have been looking for a bass that was made in 1965. The first and only 5 string fender tried in this format. It had 13 frets. Has anyone seen it......Please have it call home.

Doug

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I do believe this is what you're looking for:

[​IMG]

And AFAIK, they did put them into production but they never really caught on. Pretty rare indeed.

3. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I just saw one the other day. a strange beast.

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    whoa it like the loch ness monster, eeeeerrriieee. wwwoooooohhhhhh.

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I saw a sunburst one for sale in a sam ash here in NY a few months ago. There isn't really a great demand for them so it might be still around. I don't think they have a vintage section on their site, so you might have to call them.

www.samash.com

hope this helps

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    dave, which ash? nyc/ li/ queens? where huh huh huh???
    i've never seen this thing!

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    There's a '66 one at Kitarapaja in Helsinki (a small store that specializes in selling used higher end axes), with a price tag of whopping €2600 :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    It was either in the Carle Place or 48th St. location. I really can't remember. I regularly hit quite a few of the Sam Ash's around the NY area. My best guess it that it was at the Carle Place store. You are gonna have to call Ash to find out. They should have it in their computer. Also, IIRC, it was in pretty decent shape.

9. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    are these tuned like a normal 5?

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They were designed for what we would call tenor 5 tuning, today.

EADGC

The thinking was that they only needed 15 frets, because the highest notes would be played on the C string, and no bass player would want anything higher than a D#, right?:D

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Exactly. Wait , nevermind * realizes he'd get his ass kicked for agreeing with that*

12. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    Didn't Jamerson actually use his for a while? It would be interesting if someone could point out exactly which recordings he used it on, perhaps it has a "classic tone" all of its own...

13. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    according to the book i'm reading, he did have one, and the jamerson family still have it. dunno what he used it on though, sorry :(

14. i always thot the fender v's were tuned EADGB spose im wrong then lol neva seen one tho its the fender V1's that intrest me

15. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    John Paul Jones used one around the Physical Grafitti/mid '70s period.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Before I ever played bass, a Real Bass Player (DB that is) I knew, the late Ted Harley R.I.P. had a daphne blue Fender 5 string Bass. I handled it once,(not knowing at all what I was really looking at) wondering where it is now.