Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1965 Gibson Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CanadianBassGuy, Jun 22, 2001.

1. You can search www.ebay.com
    or www.gbase.com to see what they are selling for these days.

It doesn't look like a 65 to me, did you mean 95 or maybe 85.

Here is a 64
    [​IMG]

This one is going for $3295.00

2. Well, I forget what site I saw that it was a 65, but all I know is it's a pretty sweet bass. Wonder if Rich Priske (Matthew Good Band) will let me touch it at the concert next week...

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Canadian - As gruff implied, that ain't even close to an original T-Bird.

Just a couple of dead giveaways - black hardware like that bridge didn't come about till roughly 2 decades later.

The tuning keys are in the style of today's Hipshot/low weight keys. Notice those tuning keys in the Schaller-style that gruff posted.

Also, the finish is too vivid and crisp to be that old.

I never owned a vintage T-Bird and, other than the collector value, I don't care to. They were notorious for being fragile and their tone was nothing special at all, (like most Gibsons basses :D ). A friend of mine had one in the 70's that I played a few times and that one lived up to the less-than-flattering reputation. So, be forewarned of the vintage jobs as a bread n' butter bass.

4. Again I am one of the rare people that still like the T-Bird. Here is a Pic from Gibson that looks like mine. [​IMG]

I really like the bass and have not had any problems with it then again I wouldn't pay a ton for a "Classic" T-Bird. They are nice basses but like some of the others you really need to spend time with it and see if you like the tone, a Thunder Bird pretty much only sounds like a Thunder Bird. I also may like it because it has less neck dive than the Thumb Bass I play most of the time.

:D

5. rickbass

gruff - Just to clarify - I wasn't taking a swipe at T's in general. I like the unique style, but my comment about reliability was in reference to only the old ones. I have no idea about those that have been put out since 1980 or so.

And I agree, the amount of money the vintage ones command relative to their performance is nuts. IMO, those prices are only warranted in terms of their collectible resale value.

6. RB1 I also don't understand the prices of basses. I was looking for a Classic T-Bird, a 66 non reverse but they all had very high prices and the add always had the line "nery nice neck repair" I am also confused at the prices on Stingrays and Fender basses. I feel that you can still get a classic RIC for a great price, and i don't understand why. Please don't feel that I thought you were burning me, we both have that thing called maturity which enables us to talk without ignorance.

7. I think the market for vintage Fenders and Gibsons is so over-hyped because of collectors. There are a few guys in Japan who have warehouses full of vintage Fenders and Gibsons, held as investments.

Honestly, I'd rather not spend $3000 on a bass that's twice as old as I am and needs a lot of repair. Of course, I'm not an upright player... ;)

8. rickbass

analog - What the Japanese don't realize is that their willingness to pay almost any price for vintage is creating a bubble in their value that will burst at some point. IMO, it won't be a diagonal line that continually trends upwards. Those guys are going to unload them big time as the get into their senior years and create a market glut. It happens all the time in antiques, (and Beany Babies :rolleyes: ).

A friend of mine is an international commodities trader and sometimes brings this one visiting Japanese "chopper bassist" to our gigs because he "lak di fawnk music." He saw my pre-CBS Precis and offered me $5k on the spot :eek: It was very tempting.