1965 P-Bass: LPB "faded to green."

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian McLaughlin, Jun 23, 2019.

1. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I don't see brush marks... I see checking, dimpling, denting, shrinking, and other typical issues of this type of finish, from this era.
    Also, LPB is cool and all, but the after green is the shizz, and whatnot. All reet, etc.

Seriously, I do enjoy the green.

wvbass likes this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Exactly, as I've noticed, too.
    I can't understand why some people don't think it's possible that LPB turns green.
    I've seen the same disbelief on several other forums.

wraub likes this.
  3. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    That's just finish checking. It happens.

4. Why would you send the guy a snarky message about it? Everyone knows this is a common thing.

CarpeBasso, Bigbri and StrangerBasses like this.
  5. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    Whoa! Even Lake Placid has turned green! :D

upload_2019-6-23_13-4-3.png

6. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    *whispering*

pssst.... there's two gators. :) :)

Hahaha likes this.
  7. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    It is a cool effect. I like vintage black finishes that pick up a subtle khaki tint when the clear coat yellows over the black. I've seen this on old Rickenbackers and some Fenders. They are still black instruments, but they get a subtle green vibe to them.

The thing that is interesting is that it is still probably a blue bass under the yellowed clear coat. Some custom colour Fenders weren't clear coated from the factory, and they hold their colour better, even if they are more susceptible to chips and dents.

Bigbri, jamro217 and jd56hawk like this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    True, I once missed out on this trans-black Dean Hillsboro that had changed...you could probably come up with any number of names for this color.
    [​IMG]

zoonose likes this.
  9. bandwife

bandwife

Nov 10, 2008
    South Carolina
    You can still see the clear coat on both the green and blue areas in this pic. Colors are different as well, more natural. Just saying. The OG picture resembles a refinish. However that neck looks very authentic. All said, I wouldn't pay a dime over $8,499. That's all I'm going to say about that.

10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I had a Precision that aged just like that.

11. LordRyan

LordRyan

Dec 9, 2012
    NJ
    Here is a photo of my 1980 Lake Placid Blue The Strat taken in 2008. It has rarely been out of its ATA case and is beginning to fade to green. I haven't checked its progress lately but it could be much further along by now. A rear view can be seen here in the fourth row down The World's Best Photos of gibson and johnlennon - Flickr Hive Mind

[​IMG]

Templar likes this.
  12. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Being a LPB fan boy I must admit it makes me sad to see what the years do to the perfect finish.

13. phutyle

phutyle

Jan 18, 2017
    Jesus, that P Bass faded into a Jaguar!:jawdrop:

Amano, Son of Wobble, Clark W and 3 others like this.

14. I bought a Seafoam Green Strat in 1994. If I take it out of the case, what color will it fade to?

bobyoung53 likes this.
  15. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    Those are not brush marks. Not sure why folks feel the need to make comments like that. Apparently the result of never having seen or held any vintage instruments.

Jim C, jbrew73 and StrangerBasses like this.
  16. I would love to see this with the pick guard off. The contrast would be stunning.

17. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Uh, the pickguard is off in the OP.

18. Hairline finish cracking. The wood and finish expand/contract at different rates and the finish splinters in tiny cracks. I'd be suspicious if the cracks weren't there.

gebass6 and Ian McLaughlin like this.
  19. I just bought an Antigua Daisy Rock waiting for it to turn into a pre-war Martin. As long as it isn't BabyPoopGlo.

Ian McLaughlin likes this.
  20. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Maybe OP has been too busy playing bass to make a mental note of how obsolete car paint finishes age on old guitars? Checking does look like brush strokes!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021