1965 P-Bass: LPB "faded to green."

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian McLaughlin, Jun 23, 2019.

1. bassplace

bassplace

Mar 1, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    FWIW that is also a super reputable dealer that resells lots of vintage guitars. Wish I had that kind of disposal money

2. Somebody on this site has a Rickenbacker 4004 that faded to a nice shade of plum purple. I think it started out as Midnight Blue. I believe it's a different phenomenon, though, a chemical change in the paint as opposed to a yellowed clear coat, also I think happened fairly quickly over a few months instead of taking decades.

Ian McLaughlin likes this.
  3. Floppystrings

Floppystrings

Apr 5, 2019
    From what I have seen it's the clear coat that turns yellow, in places where the clear is chipped off it looks like fresh blue.

It's one of my favorite vintage Fender colors. Another one is Sea Foam Green, which turns more green and gets darker.

4. Blues - Reds =Greens.

5. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Blue + yellow = green. ;)

6. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    Our own Steve A with a bass that’s sexy AF. Along with a yellowed Oly white ” ‘nanner puddin” , two of the coolest Fender colors.

7. yeah

8. yeah. right. Easy to detect what you did to the original to alter the true Antigua. Fake comparison. Get real. Respect yourself and viewers. So fake.

9. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well known phenomenon. Who shopping for old guitars doesn't know that old finishes yellow and darken? The first message to the seller was rude, and displayed the lovely combination of arrogance and ignorance. The point being made was not only incorrect, but was incorrect about basic vintage guitar knowledge...and contained no salutation, no introduction, no signature, and zero interest in actually purchasing the instrument. I would have ignored you, or told you to go jump in a lake, myself.

"Fade" is not the correct terminology, however. The exposed finish has yellowed and darkened.

Better color than LPB or Sherwood IMO. And very cool that the original bridge cover was kept on all those years. Killer bass, IMO. If I had that kind of money to throw around for a bass I don't need, I'd be inquiring myself.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    StrangerBasses likes this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    What I did?
    Do you mean copy two photos of two different Fender basses with Antigua finishes to show what happens when the clear coat yellows?
    Because that's what I did...two pics right from the Yahoo search page, without altering either one.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  11. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Nice

12. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Lake Placid Algae

Ian McLaughlin and bobyoung53 like this.
  13. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I like it better green.

Spectrum and Ian McLaughlin like this.
  14. Bigbri

Bigbri

Aug 4, 2015
    That's why custom colors are so expensive. I noticed tho in the add 8500 would be a steal. Especially when there is another previous colour. That is white primer but wouldn't it be cool if it was LPB over Olympic white.

15. Bigbri

Bigbri

Aug 4, 2015
    Sonic blue?

16. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's metallic, so it must be Blue Ice Metallic (which is erroneously called Ice Blue Metallic these days).

I have a Jaguar that color, with a matching head. It's it one of Fender's most unsung colors, IMO, especially with a matching head.

It starts out looking like this. It's really stunning in a way that photos don't do justice.

l1ujxbofgdtbyqkclbyz-2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Tad, Bigbri and Spectrum like this.
  17. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    1970 Jazz Bass Olympic White, Matching Headstock:

DSCF1932_sm.jpg

Tad, Bigbri, 2000TA46032 and 3 others like this.
  18. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Yeah, I too want to point out that Garrett Park Guitars has been buying/selling vintage gear for a very long time, and has a stellar reputation.

19. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    What would bother me is the blue where the bridge cover went. Can't stand playing with it on, and ruins the nice look of the otherwise beautifully aged bass with it off

herndonbassist likes this.
  20. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    As others have said, it is primarily a clear coat yellowing issue. Here is more than you ever wanted to know about fender custom colors.

Vintage Guitars Info - Fender custom color finishes on vintage Fender guitars

In a nutshell: metallics were always clearcoated, and will yellow. Reds were rarely clear coated, but red pigment is unstable which gives some of those salmon colors. The non metallic custom colors were more or less random as to whether or not they got clear coated.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021