1965 P-Bass: LPB "faded to green."

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian McLaughlin, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Exposure to UV light will diminish reds.

Ian McLaughlin likes this.
  2. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    There were, at one point, an awful lot of "I heart _____" bumper stickers that perfectly illustrated that. Out in the sun all the time, the red hearts faded fast.

3. Ian McLaughlin

Ian McLaughlin

Aug 11, 2018

It's all coming back to me now.

I am jumping in a lake later today. Or, is it in front of a bus?

I did write him back later that day and apologized for having my doubts, complete with salutation and siggie. Wrote back and said it was appreciated. And no one got hurt.

Not everyone knows everything about everything.

I wonder if you can get this color in a rattle can.

herndonbassist likes this.
  4. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Y'all ought to see what happens to "Ocean Turquoise". Lovely color. Absolutely will not stay that lovely color.

5. Lake Placid. Now with algae!

6. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Weird post. It might be one of those MIM reissue Antigua finishes, or simply a '70s original that has lived in a case? I see no reason as to why the original image would be doctored (and I struggle to believe anybody has the energy to doctor something so banal anyway).

They don't all do that though.

[​IMG]

Herbie Flowers' Jazz Bass wasn't clear coated. It is LPB over a CAR finish (custom on custom colours) and left the factory like this. You could equally say 'who, shopping for old guitars, doesn't know that Fender didn't always clearcoat custom color finishes in the '60s'.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Always cool when a documented and verified phenomena is disputed by someone who hasn't done the legwork to figure out if it's legit. Clear-coat aging is not a rare or unknown thing. I mean, even on the well-known and classic blonde telecasters this is documented (butterscotch blonde finishes).

I'd guess (without having held them in person)...the instruments that don't have aged-out clear coats; they either were kept in dark climate controlled environments, or never got the clear-coats that they were supposed to have.

jd56hawk and StrangerBasses like this.
  8. Ian McLaughlin

Ian McLaughlin

Aug 11, 2018
    I googled, I swear.

Please share the documentation.

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    First off, this page has been up and running and is a well sourced reference for over 20 years.
    Vintage Guitars Info - Fender custom color finishes on vintage Fender guitars

I used it when doing a relic 60's aged clear coat Tele build back in 2000.

But even basic google searches come up with plenty of hits on the topic.

LPB1.jpg

LPB2.jpg

This article from Vintage Guitar mentions that colors changed due to aging and the confusion it causes:
    Fender Custom Colors in the 1960s

...not to mention the many guitars that dealers have up that are 'lake placid blue' turned green.

There are also some finish/refinish experts out there. Mark Jenny (aka MJTele) is one of the best in the bidniz and has had so many examples in his hands over the years that his page of the work he's doing reproducing correct aged colors is an excellent source:

Metallic Colors — MJT Aged Finishes

*I've worked with Mark way back when he was a guy doing the work in his garage nights after his day job and even way back then he was amazingly-knowledgeable about finishes.

Also for the record, It doesn't stop with the nitro-era...poly clear coat also ages to yellow, thus banana colored Antigua, white guitars turned blonde or yellow (I had a 1983 strat that was 'blonde' except under the pickguard it was white. It had come from the home of a heavy smoker, UV light is probably the bigger issue.

10. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    My Dad had one of these absolute pulling machines back in the '90s, and it was forever turning pink and receiving corrective detailing and respray work.

[​IMG]

Not sure why you're getting so much flak on here. I know TB is very Fender-centric, but this seems a bit extreme.

You could spray an amber clearcoat over a normal LPB finish to replicate what is going on with this finish. From memory LPB was simply a metallic blue car paint (maybe Dupont?) with a clear coat on top, or not in the case of Herbie Flowers' bass.

BurningSkies and Ian McLaughlin like this.
  11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Yep. There's a few good sources for nitro-spray can LPB. and tinted clear is definitely around. You could always get some high intensity UV lights and a closet and put the guards and hardware on and let it soak it up for a good while too. ;)

12. Ian McLaughlin

Ian McLaughlin

Aug 11, 2018
    ...and get investigated for growing, er, plants :D

Interesting idea. I've a white MIJ J that I want to refin and LPB is on the list of possibilities.

Axstar likes this.
  13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Read up on doing refinishes. There used to be a finish forum that I was a part of that had really good info. Stripping the body down appropriately is important, making sure the grain is properly filled is super important for nitro finishes and they take extra care in how they spray.

14. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've never seen one in person go "that green" but very believable.
    We used to call those store window guitars/basses.

Did business with them in the 80's and all was straight up.

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Yep. I remember the 'old days' with local shops having trios of Fender or Gibson or whatever in their front display windows and remember thinking that it couldn't be too good for the instrument (think hot/cold/sunshine/night wreaking havoc on the finishes). That was also 'back in the day' where new basses never came 'in box' but right off the shop wall.

Ian McLaughlin, Axstar and Jim C like this.
  16. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    A similar thing happened to my Precision. It was originally Inca Silver and now it's starting to turn light green. I love it because people ask me if it's a custom color.

Ian McLaughlin and jd56hawk like this.
  17. Ian McLaughlin

Ian McLaughlin

Aug 11, 2018
    Nice. Got pics?

18. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Not on me. I left the bass with my parents before a series of moves for safe keeping. I'm heading home in August and I'll be sure to take some pics then.

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Yep. My ice blue metallic Telecaster...that everyone thinks is 'sage green'...though it was done intentionally:

[​IMG]

Tad, lizardking837 and Ian McLaughlin like this.
  20. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Often wondered about using a non-protected UV light source for aging.
    Was that your secret?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021