1965 P-Bass: LPB "faded to green."

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian McLaughlin, Jun 23, 2019.

1. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Sonic?

jd56hawk likes this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State

Bigbri likes this.
  3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Definitely looks somic blue to me.

4. Bigbri

Bigbri

Aug 4, 2015
  5. Bigbri

Bigbri

Aug 4, 2015
    My favorite color.

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    Sorry zombie thread but thought that was interesting comparison.
    Here are two late '65 p, both in original LPB.
    Quite close in serial # but very much different paths.
    One played hard and the other one un-faded prob a case queen for many years:
    pb65_2.jpg pb65_3.jpg

7. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    I like yours better.

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Thanks, in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't buy the deep blue one.

9. Does Fender still use "yellowing clear coat" on their contemporary poly finished instruments?
    On older nitro finished instruments: is for example LPB turning into green 100% the result of the clear coat yellowing no matter if the finish is poly or nitro?

I'm asking because I'm personally affected.
    How long till I have three green basses instead of three blue ones? These are all nitro.
    2020-01-30 13.27.09.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  10. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I much prefer after.

jd56hawk likes this.
  11. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I have a 1984/5 Tokai Jazz bass which would have been sonic blue originally. It's pretty much an exact copy of a mid-1960s Fender including the paint, and it's essentially turquoise now. I had to replace the tort guard (now lost) with a white pearloid one as tort and turquoise looked awful together.

12. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    True.

Example 1: 1964 Precision

17896383258_c3a02008a7_b.jpg

Example 2: 1968 Precision

DSCF3741_M.JPG

Why one is more faded/yellowed than the other I don't know. Maybe they used different kinds of clear coat, or the '64 has been kept away from light most of the time.

Tbone76 and Pocket4 like this.
  13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Quoting myself - that blue-grey really brings out the grain pattern much better than the darker blue. I'd pay to have it look like that from the outset.

14. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Maybe the clear coats are of different thicknesses so the amount of yellow added is different?

15. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    The '64 looks just like the MIJ '84 P I had and wished I'd kept (a bit of a neck pocket gap, but a great neck).

16. Sounds interesting. I'm quite sure that the Tokai basses were not nitro, so it really must be the coat.
    I don't know anything about cars but I know that the guitar industry uses the same colors and coatings as the car industry. Did the same happening to cars even after going from nitro to poly? Is it still happening today?

17. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I'm pretty sure this one is nitro given how thin the finish it is and how it wears. This is one of the premium grade Tokais. I have one from the same year that's the 'standard' grade with three screw tuners and that is definitely poly.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021