Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1966 Fender 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trent-35, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Yes they did. It had a high C string, not a low B. It also only had 15 frets, because "If you have a high C, you don't need the highest 5 frets".

Youre link didnt work, but as I remember, it was a variation of a jazz style body, but looked real funky. Not many of these were made, as they didnt appeal to many. I think they were discontinued after a couple years.

2. Just took a look at the one on ebay, it has a jazzish body with a mustang type P pickup. I must say that I would never pay $2000 for that, not worth it at all.

3. I read in a Guit*r World that John Enstwhile Used one during while doing a Who tour.. can't remember which one, though.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well...seeing as though he's pretty much played every major brand out there, at least through the early '80's...:D

5. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Uhh, Every1, I think you mean John Paul Jones.

6. bassistj, i'd delete that post quick before everyone has a good laugh at you. ;)

7. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    No, seriously. I'm holding the copy of Guitar World in question, and the article says that John Paul Jones took one on Led Zeppelin's 1975 U.S. tour.

8. ah, i thought that you meant JPJ was the bassist for the Who.

9. well, Entwistle was ABOUT to be Zeppelin's bassist...

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Fender bass 5 is a truly weird beast. Reminds me of a platypus, kind of thrown together with a sense of humor.

It has a very short, wide neck, overly long body and is definitely a unique playing experience. Kind of like a Mustang on drugs. Maybe it's supposed to mimic an electric guitarron...I don't know.

I'd buy one for $2k...only if I had an iron-clad buyer at $3K;)

11. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    John Paul Jones WASN'T the bassist for the Who???

Wow, next thing you'll be telling me Cream split up...I wonder what Paul McCartney would do if that were true...

:D

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You should see it in your hands. That picture pales by comparison.

13. Hey, sorry about that! I just checked and I guess it was JPJ!

p.s. IMO, the 5 looks awesome! Its nice to see a Fender (albeit a discontinued model) that still looks original!