1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1966 Fender Precision Bass - All Original w/ OHSC

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Bass Clef, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Strings:
    66P1_zps6be53170.

1966 Fender Precision Bass

All Original w/ OHSC

Here's is one of the greats. The action, playability and tone are all SUPERB on this one. I don't say that often, and if you don't agree, then you may send it back home for a refund.. easy as that. But I guarantee this is as good as a '60s Fender P Bass gets. I have a 1961 P as well (and also a wonderful bass) and if it wasn't for that, I would never part with this one. But they are just too similar for me to rationalize keeping them both anymore.

I said this bass is all original, but technically the chrome bridge cover is a relic'd reissue part, but that's it. Everything else is completely original and unmodified. I believe I was the first to ever remove the pickup (for the photos), because the wires were still stuck and basically molded into the original foam that has hardened up over time like usual. All the solder joints are completely virgin. Body has the "ES" (means: entered special) stamp which is common on sunbursts (only in '66). Usually that's stamp was used for custom colors and NAMM show basses, etc.., but there are many examples of the stamp on original sunburst finish bodies in 1966. Even the vintage Fender dating site here mentions it (scroll about 2/3 of the way down, to the "1966 and the "ES" Stamp" paragraph).. http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html
    • Serial #: 163XXX (dates to '66)
    • Neck Stamp: 5 MAR 66 C
    • Pot Codes: 137-6611 (11th week of '66)
    • Pickups date to: 9/26/1966 (handwritten)
    The finish is heavily worn as you can see in the pics. It's what the Custom Shop tries for on their relics, but this is the real deal - from being played every night for decades! It's one of the brighter colored "target bursts" I've seen too. The back of the neck feels amazing - like only authentically-worn old nitro does. The mojo on this bass is pretty spectacular IMO. The headstock finish is heavily checked and it has some flaking. The finish and decal are original though. Nothing has ever been done to this bass, except the original owner wrote his address in pen on the butt of the neck by the mounting holes (can't be seen when the neck is mounted) which I think is really cool.. just some of the history of the bass. No wood cracks (although the pickguard has 2 small cracks in it), No extra routing or screw holes anywhere, No issues, No repairs, No mods of any kind.

This bass does have an anomaly.. I don't think it would make it worth any more (like a misprinted dollar bill or something), but it appears that the first small dot marker (along the top edge of the neck - the dot marker for the 3rd fret) was never installed! At first I thought it must have fallen out and was filled by the previous owner, but the other small pearl dots are located 50% into the maple, and 50% into the rosewood. However, as you can see in the close up pic, the rosewood is untouched and was never even drilled.. and the finish around it is undisturbed as well. There is a mark there and you can even feel it a little bit, but it's not a pearl dot. So I've come to the conclusion (as well as several of my vintage Fender friends and colleagues), that it must have been a factory blemish.. which happened back then, as it happens now. I think it's kinda cool since it's purely cosmetic, and it's probably the only one with that!

The truss rod functions nicely and the neck is very straight. The thing almost plays itself. The action is VERY low and there are no dead notes anywhere. It has amazing tone.. the notes sound like they almost explode off the neck! It will give most modern boutiques a run for their money in terms of playability (IMHO it's even better because the neck has such a great worn-in feel). The frets are all original and only show minor wear, and this bass wore flats most, if not all of its life. And it's strung with TI flats currently. The frets are also the smaller, vintage-size "banjo" frets (Fender switched to medium-jumbo frets about 2 months after this neck was made), so it still feels identical to a pre-CBS early '60s P Bass - both in terms of the frets, and the thin "C" profile.. and I can say that with 100% confidence, as I mentioned earlier that I also own a 1961 P.

The case is in fine functional condition, but it's shows some wear too. The leather is chewed up on the bottom end more than the top. One of the latches is sticky, but it still works, and there is some spots of sticker residue on it. It has the '66 "no tail" logo, but most of it has broken off. One other thing to note.. the tiny A string saddle height screws have broken flathead tips, but I can still turn them with a needle nose pliers, and they're set perfect right now, so no need to replace them at this point (but it'll only cost a couple bucks when/if you ever do).

I do not need to sell this bass, but I am open to reasonable offers. I want it to go to a great home. It's one of my "babies". And it's a featherweight too @ 7 lbs. 12 oz.

CLICK HERE FOR ALL THE PICS! (35)

$5300 OBO Shipped (USA)
    *I also take deposits and ship international, message me for details.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    sneha1965 likes this.
  2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Wow. I'd love a "birth year" bass.

Kukulkan61 and The Bass Clef like this.
  3. Jov1321

Jov1321

Feb 26, 2014
    I would sell my soul for this.

The Bass Clef likes this.
  4. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Yeah, that's the real deal...beautiful Bass...

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Killer. Glwts

6. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Yes Sir its a great feeling to have a birth year bass especially if its dated same month too like my 61>>its like meant to be...:thumbsup:

7. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Nice 66!!! what year did they stop clay dots I noticed yours look like pearl...

8. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Thank you! They went to pearl in late '64.

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    And my birthday is in March. [emoji50]

10. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Why did I click on this ad...

Where in CA are you located?

11. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I'm in the mountains (Lake Arrowhead), but I'm also down in Rancho Cucaminga usually a few nights/week.

12. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    Really fair price for a straight 66'. I wish I had an excuse to buy it!

13. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Sale pending...

14. rocker68

rocker68 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2012
    SE Florida
    Good for you Brian! Wish I could have afforded this one...luckily I found
    a '72.

15. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    You have by far the best gear I've seen posted on TB.

16. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Thank you!

17. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    SOLD!

Thread Status: