1966 Jazz bass Neck PuP - What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jim C, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have 2 mid 60's, green bobbin, J, neck pups (one is dated 7.22.66 with a pencil) that I've had over 25 years that came from buying a bunch of boxes of parts from an old repair shop.
    If they were rewound, it was a long time ago and a super pro job, but from what I can tell, look pretty original.
    Any idea what these are worth?

(or course, they both had to be neck pups, right? :bawl:)

2. can you get a resistance rating on the 66 and a pic of the winding? id be very interested. pm me if youd like.

3. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Thought I'd bump this around one more time.
    One pup has a DC resitance of 6.96K and the other 8.70K.
    They need a good home and am clueless as to how to price them on the TB classifieds.
    eBay has had some listed at astronomical pricing but am not sure if they have sold.

4. can you get a picture of the windings on both pickups? thats a pretty big difference. for the sets that are on ebay right now- the 68's and the 64's have been on there for an eternity without a bid and without a price drop. iirc, theyre priced in the 800 buck range. some 1960 black bottoms legitimately sold for 1400 for the set a few months back, so the spread is pretty wide.

5. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Here they are

edit: just realized you asked for winding pics; will be back in town Tuesday and repost
    In the interim; the bobins and magnets look perfect; just not sure about the possible rewind

Attached Files:

6. those look like plastic leads on the pickup thats stamped? re-leaded or a later pickup?also, which of the two is reading at 8.7k.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    One is for sure 66, the other with the stamped digits looks more like 72, and the plastic wire would defeintely be later than 68 too.

6.9k is a tad low but still in the range. Most originals were low 7 to mid 7k's. But the one that measures 8.7k is pretty hot for a factory pickup, and would seem rewound/overwound, although I'd love to hear how it sounds (I'd guess pretty darn good!)

8. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    The 6.9K reading is from the 1966; the 8.7 is from the 70's unit
    Here are winding photos (66 is first).

What do you guys think I should ask for these; it seems criminal that I've had them in a drawer for 25 years and they weren't out making music.

Defineately don't want to get on the bad side of the spirit world; imagine if Leo decided you weren't ever going to have good bass tone again.... :eek:

Attached Files:

9. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    1 million Fender experts here and nobody has an opinion as to what these are worth?
    Come on boys; gimme something!
    Don't want to look like an asshat when I list them but would like to get a fair buck at the same time.

10. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd say tree-fitty.

11. TreeFitty

TreeFitty

Aug 17, 2009
    Texas

Did you just say treefitty????

12. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Take a look at this 1955 p pickup that sold a few days back here for 150$:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691225
    I think that was a really low price for it though. I would have bought it if I caught it on time. Here's a 74 p that needed some rewinding http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686621 sold for 35$.

I have a 77 jazz pup that needs some rewinding because it currently reads at about 2k and I still haven't decided on a price so I'd appreciate any input I can get from fellow TBers as well. How much would a rewound pickup go for?

13. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I just sold a 65 P pup for $950 on about a year ago on Ebay.. Jazz may be more...

14. I'm subscribin myself. I have a matched pair of '72 J bass pickups that I've been tryin to find an approximate value. They are out of a '73 J that essentially no longer exists. Any help or clues would be invaluable. I've got nuttin to put them in, and I feel same as above. These things should be makin music. Thanks for any help.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 20, 2021