Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1966 Jazz Bass - need help with wiring situation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Feb 18, 2006.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've owned this '66 Jazz for a couple of years and have always just cranked all three knobs wide open when playing, adjusting the amp as necessary; however, the other day while practicing I turned the knob for the bridge pickup to a lower setting, and the volumn of the bass actually went LOUDER! The setting for the neck pickup was left wide open.

Ther is a microswitch on the control plate that I always leave in one position (the one that makes the bass sound better to me) so I know there was some modification before I acquired the bass, but I don't know just what was done.

Can anyone tell me what they think the situation might be? Could it be miswired? Is it supposed to work this way?

Many thanks!

Tony Noriega, Tampa

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    All my Jazz basses seem to get a little bump when you roll the bridge off a touch...

3. That switch could also toggle the pickups in and out of phase...I once had a Jazz that had been re-wired out of phase and sounded kind of thin and glassy with both volumes at 10, but more like a typical J-Bass with one volume backed off slightly.

4. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Read this:
    http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/stockgibson.php
    it may be the same effect.

5. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    I believe you will find that KfS is correct. When you turn down one pup a bit you actually get less cancellation, so the overall volume increases.

If you move the switch to the other position, do the volumes act more the way you would expect?

6. when the volumes are matched, you create a noise cancelling humbucker effect. i too, play my Jazz with the Neck volume on full, and, the bridge volume slightly (1/8-1/4) back. the switch is probably a series/parallel switch. (in phase-out of phase). :cool:

Edit: BTW- Fender Jazz Bass- 1966, all original, in low to high, excellent condition.
    $6,000 - $8,500 (us). nice!!