1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1966 jazzbass ‘enter special’

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roogbass, Apr 30, 2018.

1. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    I bought this great bass from a fellow TBer.
    He had some info about the letters ‘ES’ that are next to the pup.
    Does anyone have some more info on the subject?

Thanks in advance :)

721C9D67-5591-49B4-869E-7027A5B8160C. 7027223A-1D70-4B4F-AB01-8043092B3AF7. F6FD0097-1257-4911-B67B-B1F2273EE04D. 3216BD56-1584-43D6-A970-A48A4F6C1A70.

saabfender and FenderOli like this.
  2. Who knows?

1966 and the "ES" Stamp.
    In 1966, Fender used the "ES" code a lot on their custom color instruments. At least for 1966, the ES code was used as some sort of default for custom colored instruments (be it Teles, or Strats or Jazz Basses). This two letters ("ES" for "Enter Special") seems to denote a special order, at least for 1966. Again this is has been seen lots of times on 1966 documented original custom color instruments. I have also seen the "ES" stamp on some 1966 sunburst instruments! (Perhaps these guitars were special show models, so extra care was taken in their finish.) The 1/2" tall 2-letter code were a factory color code, and are completely different than the 1/2" tall three-digit codes. The two-letter code appears to be CBS/Fender's way of specifying bodies to be painted a custom color for a special order once the body was in the spray booth. If a guitar has a two letter code on the body *only* (and not the neck), again this confirms the 2-letter code was an original factory color code (and does not indicate a factory refinish order). But then there is this question: why do only some 1965-1968 custom color Fenders have this two letter code and others do not? It may have to do with how many custom colored guitars were being painted at any point in time, and the 2-letter code was applied to avoid confusion. Or it was applied just for particular special orders (like a Fender NAMM show guitar or a special dealer/artist order).

Vintage Guitars Info - Fender custom color finishes on vintage Fender guitars

roogbass likes this.
  3. My late '66 doesn't have the "ES" code and it is indeed nothing special.

roogbass and saabfender like this.
  4. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Yeah, pretty common on 1966 sunburst bodies (IME, much more common than on custom color bodies, at least for P and J basses). There really is nothing special about the “ES” stamp.

5. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Ah....memories, the back of that bass brings me back to the good ole days when running Whipper Snippers were popular as belt buckles.

BTW...what's up with those hideous pillows in that corner?? Did you make them from Abominable Snowman pelt????

abominable-snowman-520169-e1479836816185.

BassholeKI, roogbass and saabfender like this.
  6. saabfender

saabfender Banned SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I like it. I'm going to stamp my P-Bass with "ES."

roogbass and FenderOli like this.
  7. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    Hahahaha, i’ll ask my girlfriend.

8. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Nothing special about my July-ish '66 sunburst P bass, with the ES. ;-)

roogbass likes this.