SOLD 1967 Ampeg B15NC, 50w tube, 2x15, original everything including drivers

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by ahooton, Jan 5, 2018.

1. ahooton

ahooton

Nov 8, 2012
    Price:
    $2800
    This is an excellent fully original Ampeg B15NC, originally sold in 1967 (fully original except for the standard B15/B18 ground switch fix, so nobody dies!). I have been told, but not able to verify personally, that fewer than 100 of these 2x15 models were ever sold by Ampeg. Unlike the B15N that had a 30w head and 1x15, the B15NC used the 50w head off the B18. I had it cleaned up by the top pro amplifier shop in Nashville, British Audio Service, who also installed the ground switch upgrade (in some cases the original ground circuit was able to short to the ground switch itself, presenting a quite dangerous situation).

Unlike almost all original Portaflex amps, this one has not been modified. In particular, the square-magnet drivers in the cabinet are fully original: original cones, original coils, original magnets, original frames. The head is in like-new condition. The tolex and grill cloth have not been replaced or restored, they are also original. This example also has the original factory option rolling platform with castors that attaches to the bottom of the cab.

I have never gigged this amp, using it only for recording. Most recently, I recorded about 3/4 of the tracks on the new Rae Gordon Band disc on this '67 Ampeg paired with my' 67 Fender P (also for sale here on TalkBass). We just mic'ed the amp in the studio and went for it... The combination of this amp and the P is magical.

I am having to retire from playing due to health reasons, and this 50 year-old combo of the '67 P and the' 67 Ampeg has been my secret weapon. I hope each of them goes to somebody who appreciates them and take a good care of them for the next 50 years. 20171028_151429.jpg 20171028_151309.jpg 20171028_151320.jpg 20171028_151335.jpg 20171028_151429.jpg 20171028_151441.jpg 20171028_151459.jpg 20171028_151429.jpg

2. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Oh my...

ahooton likes this.
  3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    So cool!

ahooton likes this.
  4. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Gold Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I'm in love.

ahooton likes this.
  5. ahooton

ahooton

Nov 8, 2012
    Man, I know how you feel, I'm in love with it too (and my '67 P, it's posted for sale here too). If I wasn't being forced to stop playing for medical reasons, there's no way I would be selling these. Make me an offer! Or, see if any of the studio engineers you work with would like to have it in their studio. Peace, Al

6. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Insanely cool!!! :thumbsup:

ahooton likes this.
  7. DPotatoesOBrien

DPotatoesOBrien

Jan 6, 2018
    Oh, Al, I never should have looked at this pic. It’s supremely beautiful.

ahooton likes this.
  8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Sorry to read of your upcoming sitch regarding not being able to play anymore :( You mean 'since my lifestyle can no longer revolve around music, I'm unloading my heavy artillery gear', or 'I can't even play with myself for personal enjoyment anymore, period.' ?!?

Which horror is it? :bawl:

ahooton likes this.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've only seen one of those in my entire life and that was over 30 years ago. Assuming this isn't the exact same one, now I've seen two... Very cool!

ahooton likes this.
  10. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Wow ...... Just.....wow
    Sorry you’re having to part with this and not play anymore. I wish you all the best.
    I also wish I could give this a good home. Darn bank account.

ahooton likes this.
  11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Any possibility of shipping or delivering to southern CA?

12. ahooton

ahooton

Nov 8, 2012
    Definitely a good chance, @pickels... I'll PM you to discuss options.

13. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Very cool. I have a 67 BT-15NC. 100watts. It's got the light up panel. IMG_2615.JPG

ahooton likes this.
  14. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    That’s as cool as it gets.

ahooton likes this.
  15. ahooton

ahooton

Nov 8, 2012
    Oh man, those are very cool too! I've only ever seen one of those before. To my ears they have a slightly more aggressive tone than the B-15NC, which is cool if that's what you want. Does yours have that slightly more aggressive quality?