Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1967 Bassman with 2x15 ??? Help...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wooten, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Wooten

Wooten

Feb 4, 2005
    I have been offered a good price on a 1967 Fender BASSMAN head (AB165 circuit) with the original matching Fender 2x15" cab. The amp has all original components except the tubes. Can anybody can help me to know if two original 15" speakers sound good on this head ? The reason being is that I also play guitar and apperently this amp kicks ass for both. Thanks !

2. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for, and how good the price is. All original stuff, eh? Well.. Personally, I would not get very excited over speakers that are that old. Even if they were in new factory conditon.
    The original Fender cabinets that I owned and played off in the early '80s never sounded very good for bass. 15" speakers aren't for guitar at all, but I cannot comment on that particular amp head.
    I don't think vintage bass amps are anything to run out and buy for modern playing, but hey, that's just my opinion.
    I wouldn't want one unless I was a "collector" .
    I had a Fender Bassman 135 tube head for several years and never liked it.
    Sorry if everything I've written sounds negative..

Mag...

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i remember using a 2x15 dual showman cabinet in the 80's for a lot of gigs with a peavey mark 4 head. it was ok but eventually i blew a driver. the head is definitely a cool thing. even if it doesnt work out for you there are TONS of guitar players who would give their eye teeth for that head.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The head might be too quiet for bass in a live setting, but is excellent for guitar.

There is a '66 Bassman for sale at Songbird Music in Toronto for $850 CDN. They have a matching '64 2x12 for $595 CDN. Not surprisingly, there are none for sale at the Ottawa store. I think they sell pretty fast and they don't even bother putting them on the web site.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Dual Showman of the period used JBLs and was sweet, but the Bassman used rather cheap drivers by todays standards and wouldn't work particularly well for either bass or guitar. The late 60's CBS Fenders were not great guitar amps. You're probably thinking of the '59 Bassman, an open back 4x10 that was terrible for bass but a fabulous guitar amp, so good that Jim Marshall later copied it's circuitry.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm bad, yes that is what I was thinking of :oops:

P.S. Is it just me or does the "embarrassed" smilie look more like it's yawning?

7. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    If the cab is in decent shape, solid etc..., I'd get it and replace the speakers. 50watts may fill a stage but not a room. But that's what PA is for.

And didn't SRV play through a modified Fender with a 15? He sounds pretty good. ;)

dunc

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I always thought yawning or singing. Don't see the embarrasment in it...

Ray

9. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I used to have that same rig, i liked it but it was old. They are really punchy but i thought they lacked highs. and the 2 separate inputs on the head do come in handy.

10. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have Bassman 70 made in the 70's and I laikd it very much and I keep it as antique . It is loud although only 70 mwatts tube . It hass 2 x 15 , very fat vintage tone and very good for guitar too.

11. There are some great Fender cabinets from that era. I found a larger mid-60's upright cabinet (3 carrying straps) with the original JBL D140Fs in it that I use with a blackface Showman in the studio. Although it has the 24" mounting hardware, other measurements indicate that this probably a Bassman cabinet. The size is a bit smaller than the larger Dual-Showman cabs.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ahhhh big difference

SRV used a modded vibroverb combo wihich has an open back cabinet. one of the LOUDEST amps i've ever heard in my life. My Gp has a srv reissue vibroverb and is shopping for a vintage one. they are rediculously loud amplifiers. (for guitar).