1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1967 Fender P, excellent condition, 2nd owner, studio use only, never gigged.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ahooton, Jan 5, 2018.

1. ahooton

ahooton

Nov 8, 2012
    Price:
    $8700
    Strings:
    The time has come, unfortunately, to sell my '67 P (have to retire from playing due to medical reasons). It is in *very* good condition, as can be seen from the pics. I purchased it in 1979 from the parents of a (then) young kid they had bought it for in '67, but he never touched it. I have recorded with it (often using it with my '67 Ampeg 2x15 B15NC, which is also for sale here on TalkBass) but never gigged with it. Most recently I recorded about 3/4 of the tracks on the new Rae Gordon Band disc using this instrument and the B15NC.

It is completely stock (except for Dunlop strap locks, because I never wanted it to fall off a strap!). This includes the original pickups, original pickup cover, bridge cover, thumb/finger rest, original tuning machines, etc. Never been refinished, damaged, modified, etc. Very few 50+ year-old professional-grade instruments are in such an original condition. Also, I have exclusively used either flat wounds or half-rounds the entire time I've owned it -- the rosewood fingerboard, and frets, are in excellent condition. It will come with a current-day Fender factory Precision bass case, *or* for $200 more you can have it in an SKB road case (my recommendation, I normally have it stored in the SKB just to protect it, but that's your call).

20171028_154419. 20171028_154419. 20171028_154429. 20171028_154440. 20171028_154511. 20171028_154539. 20171028_154548. 20171028_154532. 20171028_154429.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. Both guitars and basses dated after December 1964 are CBS and there were well documented changes made by '67 to both guitars and basses that started even in late '64. But nothing wrong with an early CBS bass, and you've got a beautiful one there--GLWTS!

bassdude51 and ahooton like this.
  3. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    That's pretty spectacular.

ahooton likes this.
  4. ahooton

ahooton

Nov 8, 2012
    Sounds definitive to me! Where were you when I was doing my initial research, LOL? I don't doubt you're right, but I've not found sources that are "well documented" so far. Can you point me/us to them, I'd like to learn more definitively what actually happened during this period. Thx!

5. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts I like bass. And airplanes. Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's a bucket list bass for me. So gorgeous! Only like 15 or 20 more years then I can retire and splurge on something like that! GLWTS!

ahooton likes this.
  6. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

So beautiful. Good luck.

7. There are some good websites, and if you like books this is one I can recommend:
    51-mouavogL._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The bold TV headstock logo and those tuners came out in mid 1968. So this bass should be at the oldest a mid '68.

9. packrat

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Damn. Someone got a great deal.

B>

10. ahooton

ahooton

Nov 8, 2012
    I'm not going to mention who, unless he/she wants to mention it. It is someone on TalkBass. And from my perspective, it was the perfect deal, as we both feel good about it. Doing deals with fellow bassists always seems easier, more straightforward and more transparent than any other deals, at least for me. This individual is picking up both the P and the Ampeg, as a package deal.

Thanks to everyone who engaged on these two pieces, sent me PMs, provided missing information etc. Especially the missing information! I had a few facts incorrect, and I'm truly grateful the knowledgeable players here straightened that out. Never would I want to misrepresent something here, even by accident. Even if I have to stop gigging actively, I will always consider all who create down at the low end to be my sisters and brothers. Peace, y'all!

11. packrat

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Sounds like it found a good home.

ahooton likes this.