1967 Fender Precision Bass Factory Gig Bag ?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by Rivoli, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Rivoli

Rivoli

Jan 13, 2016
    I can't seem to find any information about a OEM Fender gig bag being included with 1960s or 1970s era Fender Precision Basses. A local seller seems to have a deal on this exceedingly rare bird: Vintage '67 Fender Gig Bag

Here is the text from the ad:
    Yeah, Yeah... I know, you can get a new one for a lot less. Move on, this is not for you.

For the vintage loving bassist - this Fender gig bag came with a '67P purchased around 1970ish. I stopped using it shortly after getting it and it's been in a closet or under a bed ever since. There's some minor stitching needed, but in general, it's in great shape.

If there's any interest, I can provide more pics.
    Okay, back under the bed it goes. And don't bother lecturing me on the price, or offering $100. If you don't get what it is, you don't get it.

LEAVE PHONE NUMBER if interested.
    I will not respond without a name and number.

2. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I would not have thought this was true, and I have been following vintage Fenders for many years. But I just found 2 other sellers with similar bags for sale, although for guitars, not bass. So you learn something new everyday. I think its a bit overpriced and the seller is obnoxiously snarky, but I now think it is legitimate.

Rivoli likes this.
  3. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    That's cool. I wish he'd describe the bag; since it's so rare, most folks like me have no idea about them

Rivoli likes this.
  4. Rivoli

Rivoli

Jan 13, 2016
    I've been studying and collecting vintage Fender basses for over 20 years and this is a first for me! I'm fascinated by this small, yet important part of Fender bass history.

ppiluk likes this.
  5. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Yes, I’ve been playing bass since the mid 60s and have never seen or heard of these bags. I’ve had and still have a few very old Fender cases for guitar and bass. Still surprised I’ve never seen a Fender leather gig bag. If I had one, I would immediately condition it to prevent cracking.

Rivoli likes this.
  6. Could be that this bag was Thrown In to the deal at the time of sale by the shop and is not an actual Comes With A Fender product.

12BitSlab and Rivoli like this.
  7. Rivoli

Rivoli

Jan 13, 2016
    It's interesting, as I researched this bag more I found a similar example that had "Fender" printed on the front. Makes me think it could be a OEM factory product.

8. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  9. JTE

JTE Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    When I managed the store, we had some old Fender catalogs. I didn't keep any of them unfortunately. I think they were about '63, '65, and '67. At least one did have a picture of a gig bag, but I don't recall anything about it. One also had a photo of a fiberglass kind of case too. Never saw either in real life.

Rivoli likes this.
  10. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    OEM gig bags were available from ‘51 until the ‘60s sometime. They should be soft, foldable, and brown, with a couple of big brass-zippered compartments on the outside. The photos I’ve seen DO NOT look like the bag in the OP.

They were cheaper than the case; when you bought a guitar back then, you usually bought a case with it though. The Fiberglas case was available around ‘65-‘68, usually with Jags or Jazzmasters (it was a top-line item). I don’t know if they were ever molded for basses. Should be brown outside with a red or golden-brown shag interior.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Rivoli likes this.
  11. Rivoli

Rivoli

Jan 13, 2016
    Good to know. I'll be on the look out for those characteristics in my search.