1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1967 Hofner 500/1 violin bass REDUCED

Discussion in 'For Sale: Europe & International' started by Mutzel, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Mutzel

Mutzel

Feb 26, 2016
    Price:
    Currency (EU and Intl):
    EUR
    Strings:
    My Location:
    Germany
    Ships to::
    • Worldwide
    • United States
    EUR 1150 / USD 1300

A genuine German-built vintage Höfner, the pots are dated week 17 in 1967.

It has all the features that match the year 1967: Blade pickups, larger control panel, enclosed tuners, raised plastic logo on headstock. In 1968 they changed this back to a gold decal under clear finish.

Everything works fine, the electrics are good, no noisy pots or switches, the pickups are fine, they have a very healthy output. Usually I use flatwounds on Höfners, but I tried a set of original Höfner roundwound strings on this one. It sounds a bit more modern, but with the fat and woody thumb you expect from a 500/1. The sound is big and warm.

Many of the vintage Höfner basses need a neck reset, not this one. The neck itself and the joint between neck and body are fine and strong. The trussrod works as it should. The back of the neck is black, this is a bit unusual. But I have seen two other old 500/1 from this period with a black neck. The body still has the mid 60´s one-piece back and the neck a small heel, this was changed during 1967 I think.

The perloid scratchplate and control panel have a nice dark aged tone. The finish has a few matte spots on the back and the sides and the typical cracks.

It comes with a new non-Hofner case.

I´m in Berlin, Germany. Shipping to the expense of the buyer is no problem. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019