Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1967 Jazz bass info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by claybone, May 31, 2003.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Claybone,

From the pics I saw at the link you've left in your post, plus the serial number seem to indicate this is indeed a Fender 'J' of the mid-late 60's. If the 'white pearl block' fingerboard were the original 'pearl' dots it might have fetched a significantly higher amount... pearl dots were replaced with 'clay' dots around 64', then the pearl blocks during the later 66' models.

It appears to be in a fairly, all original condition - although the wear and damaged paint shows more like a bass that was abused and improperly handled, as opposed to 'natural' wear and tear... the way overpriced "Jaco J Bass" reissue comes to mind;^o

You may want to drop by "Antique and Vintage Guitars" and send along an email with your query to the 'Vintage Guitar Info Guy'; http://www.provide.net/~cfh/

Sorry, wish I could be of a more positive response... michael s.

BTW: thanks for the link; I've added to my bookmarks.

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have a cousin who has a nearly perfect 1966-67 white Fender Jazz with a white pick guard. He played it for 1-2 years and it's been laying down in it's case for the past 35+ years. Man I'd love to get a hold of that. I've been told that it's worth between $4,500- 5,500. Unfortunately, I told him that. He had no idea what it was worth. I'm way too honest.

3. hey, thanks, guys!
    I'll let you know what come's out of the deal.. I'm gonna get the beauty today :D

4. hey, thanks, guys!
    I'll let you know what come's out of the deal.. I'm gonna get the beauty today :D