Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1967 Precision Body w/pickguard and electronics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drjudd, Sep 3, 2004.

1. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    Need some advise on what to do.
    I have been gifted a striped '67 precision body complete with the pickups and pots attached.
    Someone striped the body and no it is just dirty bare wood.
    There are a few cracks starting in the laminations but they don't go all the way through the body.
    Should I? :
    sell it for parts?
    sand it, seal it, lacquer it?
    repaint it?
    make love to it?
    toss it?

I grew up with a 67 p bass, wish I would have never let it go.
    I don't have a neck and the guitar collection is growing so maybe I should part with it?

Help.

drjudd
    PICS ON REQUEST @ drjudd@netpci.com

2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I wouldnt pass it up, Ive been looking for a nice p-bass body so you should definetly keep it, and make a project out of it.

3. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You can find a neck on ebay. Don't refinish it, it's worth more as it is. If you don't want it, sell it to me! :D

4. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    "Don't refinish it, it's worth more as it is."

I disagree. Once it has been stripped then it's worth as much as a refinished body so you might as well make it look and get it refinsihed. If you don't have the money to refinish it and get a neck then you might as well sell it off. I would hold on to it and get it mated with an original neck, but that's based on a "money is no object" thinking.

5. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Oh crap, I missed the "stripped" part of the opening post. If it's already stripped, play it as it is (once you get a neck of course!) or paint it a cool color (maybe an off brand color). IMHO, you can never have too many basses! :)

6. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    I'm assuming that this body has been stripped as it is natural wood except for some white under the neck plate and in the neck pocket. It would be fun to just play it as is and then when someone says "hey, what a crappy looking bass" I reveal its date, and watch their jaw drop.
    apologys accepted.

thanks for the response so far.
    Now, If I keep it.............I need to find a really crappy looking neck to go with it.

7. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    :hyper: I jest edjecated myself on pot datin'

Funny thing.....this bass body has a pot date of 6352 which is the 52nd week of 1962.
    I'll bet this is a 63.

Guess I'm keepin it.

now i have to find a 63 neck. eeeeekkkk.

8. Get a nice Fender reissue neck, they make a 62 P-bass neck that's identical to the one on their American vintage basses.

9. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

But what is the date in the neck pocket?

11. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam

There is only paint residue in the neck pocket, to cluttered to make out any date.