1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1968 Ampeg BT-15 cabinet build

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 70spbase, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Tube

100.0%
  2. Solid State

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 70spbase

70spbase Fender/Ampeg for over 30 years!Portaflex #449 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Hey all after building my first cabinet Ampeg V-6B a couple weeks ago I got a little anxious to build a Bt-15 to go with the head I picked up on Reverb. So here it is. Started it Sunday and pretty much finished it except for the handles and a few little cosmetic nuggets. Here are some pictures of the progress and the scrape that was inevitable since I'm a klutz. ALTEC LANSING 418B for meat! Btw it sounds a lot like a B-15N without the warmth of the tubes. SO it doesn't "sound" just like it but volume-wise... yes. Studio or small stage gigs.

Attached Files:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Extremely nice job!

70spbase likes this.
  3. 70spbase

Nov 30, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Extremely honored to have received your compliment. Thank you. I need to get a table saw and a better router...the Dremel is tired! Next is another single 15" cab for a friend with a PF350! They don't like the modern Ampeg offering. Do you think that a PF350 would work/sound ok through a vintage style box? The speaker they have is an Eminence BETA 600 watt???

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    JimmyM likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sure would. I've done it with my B-15 cabs.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It turned out well. Amazing what you can accomplish with just a few tools. I get my wood mostly pre cut to the desired dimensions ($1 per cut) at the wood store which saves a lot of work on my part.

A small router is about the most useful power tool. Then you need a straight edge for it, some clamps, and a circle cutting jig for the speaker cutout. Did I mention a drill? Well you may as well get a random orbital sander. Costs add up but they are a good investment. ;)

For your next cab, consider a TL606 design. The plans are readily available on the net and it's a basic build. These thiele cabs are cabable of dealing with more watts than some of the early Ampeg cabs like the B15 double baffle. I have a couple of EV cabs based on that design and they do a very good job.

http://www.audiev.com/ElectroVoice_TL_Series/TL606 Builders Plans.pdf

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    70spbase and pie_man_25 like this.
  6. weren't the Thiele cabs for the B-15 similar to the TL606 anyways? I don't quite recall.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yes, the ones made after 1968 and before 1980 were.

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Looks great!

70spbase likes this.
  9. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    As Jimmy said, yes. The earlier two B15 cabinet versions, the so called single baffle and the earlier double baffle were not thiele.

10. 70spbase

Nov 30, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for the compliment and also the confidence to build another. I will attempt this one next. I have another Eminence from an Ampeg 115HE and a couple 8" from a SVT48HE. Yet with a crossover, do you think it would work with the EV type enclosure?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Probably. Could likely get away with only one 8, though.

12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Not sure. I work on cabs but am not what I would call an expert. More a hack. :laugh:

My Ev cabs are based on the TL606 except they have horns, which are usually turned off. The TL606 cab doesn't have room to mount a couple of eights in it. The cabinet would have to be extended and that would affect the performance of the cab. It might or might not be an issue.

With the addition of the mid frequency speakers, It looks like you are entering the realm of the fearful cabinets. The plans are available online, and there is a good community here that has built them. These are similar to the 606.

But the cabinet needs to match the speaker. The eminence web site has a lot of good information that includes cabinet dimensions for each speaker. Unfortunately, Ampeg used custom designs so your model will not be listed. More than likely they will have something close that you can use.

The seat of the pants approach is to build it, test it, and tweak it.

70spbase likes this.
  13. 70spbase

Nov 30, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Thanks again for all of the valuable info! My girlfriend says you guys are like the knights of the bass round table that I look up to yet I'll never meet.. haha! Btw I just received my actual "big boy" router and I have already made a "hole cutter jig" and it works! Damn! If I only had this two days ago!

14. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    You can take an eye out with that thing. Please wear safety glasses and hearing protection.

70spbase likes this.
  15. I'd say it's just plain great that he's enjoying bidding stuff. It's a great way to see the sun and smell some sawdust. Just be careful with those power tools, my focus sucks, so I tend to stick to hand tools.

70spbase likes this.