Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1968 Ampeg SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Oct 4, 2003.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've just come across a '68 SVT for $850. This makes me have a few questions for you guys:

1)Is this a decent price. (I think it to be a fairly decent price. I'd try to bargain with as much as possible.

2)What do I need to look for to make sure everything's in good working order. They have an in-house amp tech, and the store is fairly well known for vintage amps, but what do I need to be on the look-out for?

3)Does anyone gig with one of these? I'm not so sure about hauling that thing around, unless I find a good travel case for it WITH WHEELS!

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks.

2. $850 US for a late 60's SVT is dirt cheap. I've seen early 70's ones go for upwards of $1500. Be sure to ask when it was last re-tubed and what exactly was done.(Caps,misc components) A re-tube now could cost you a ton. When properly set up and adjusted, SVTs are almost bulletproof. Probably the greatest rock bass amp ever made.

:brad:

3. I had a '69 for many many years.

I thought that was the first year but I could be mistaken.

Anyway, the power tubes required for that vintage are rare and expensive and when one blows it takes out bunches of resistors and other stuff with it.

If it's in good shape I'd say it's a fair price.

Don't set it on a speaker cabinet as vibrations tend to set of the afore mentioned flame-out when played really LOUD.

After I turned down a bit a kept it off the speakers, the tubes lasted years.

4. After doing a little bit of digging on the net I realized that the SVT wasn't introduced until 1969....so they've got the dating on that head wrong.

:brad:

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ah. One of my dyslexic moments. It is a '69. I'll call the store first thing Monday to ask those questions. Re-tubing and doing the caps and all aren't a problem for me. I've got a good friend and customer who is a retired amp tech. He loves nothing more than fooling with old amps, as long as he gets to play with them for a few days. On that condition, he does all the work for free, as long as I supply parts, and we're actually about to place a huge tube order at work in the next few days.
    Thanks for the quick replies, and any more are appreciated.

6. $850 is a good deal. Not outstanding, but good.

Play it balls out on an 8x10 cabinet. If the store is honest and there's nothing wrong with the amp, they won't have a problem with it. Listen for rattles, buzzes, and hums. Unmatched or incorrectly biased output tubes will hum.

They're not that bad. I have to laugh at all the whiners who piss and moan about the weight of the SVT head and the lightweight and flexibility of their own preamp/power amp setup that weighs about 20 lbs MORE than the SVT once it's racked and they get all their goodies in with it. I do lift weights, but not so I can carry my amp.

7. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I always have a decent supply of 6146 tubes around if you need them. They are new and used, but all tested and matched. Also, they aren't as expensive or as rare as people think. You just have to have friends in the antique radio business!!!!!!

8. That's real cool. I've always thought that 6146s were practically impossible to find these days...
    BTW, this is a bit off topic but do you guys ship to Canada? I'm looking into buying a Berg NV610, but there isn't a Canadian dealer and you guys are relatively close to me...

9. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Mark,
    Don't want it to look like spamming, so if you'd click on my link, we can chat elsewhere. Canada's no sweat!
    gibsongeek@aol.com

10. NV610 WOW! Very Punchie! Hold on to your butt-crack!

11. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    And your bandmates buttcracks!!!!!!!(well.....'ya know!)

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have two friends who both have a vintage SVT. I believe one is a '69 and the other an early '70's model. Both are in great shape and sound awesome.

$850 seems like a pretty good deal to me. Definitely not a bad one.

Like Psycho Bass Guy said, SVT's aren't that heavy. I weigh 125 lbs and I load/unload my friends SVT all the time.

13. Why don't people rate the Ampeg V9 (guitar version of the SVT)? On my last visit to the US I found an original V9 + matching 4x12 for $500.

Pity the sucker was too big/heavy to ship home! :(

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    the V9 cab is a 9x10, not a 4x12. But that sounds like a sweet deal? (how long ago/where...?!:D )

15. Romeo, I think nil was referring to the V9 head (the SVT head with distortion). Many V9 head owners resort to the 4x12s because the V9 cabs are rarish.

16. Ummm, the V9 didn't have distortion AFAIK. It was the pair to the SVT much like the V4 was to the V4B - no Ultra Low, but with the addition of a reverb tank.

The 4x12 could well have been the V4 model, I must say I didn't look at the speaker jack plate.

I would've loved to own it, but won't be back in the US (to live) until next Xmas...so if anyone's interested, she's at Drome Sound, State St in Schenectady (near the old Mohawk Mall site). I love this store (almost as much as Parkway Music in Clifton Park).