SOLD 1968 - early 70's Fender PrecisIon Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Luckydog, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Price:
    Strings:
    IMG_4191.JPG IMG_3971.JPG IMG_3948.JPG IMG_3946.JPG IMG_3945.JPG IMG_3942.JPG IMG_3941.JPG IMG_3940.JPG IMG_3939.JPG IMG_3938.JPG IMG_3935.JPG IMG_3936.JPG IMG_3943.JPG
    1968 - early 70's Fender P-Bass, extraordinarily clean. Very slight scratches and a couple very minor dings. Original hardware, original finish. Weighs 9 pounds with all hardware. 1-5/8" nut width. Comes with original case, also in very good condition.

I'm not certain, but I think I am the second owner. I bought it in the 90's from a man who was getting rid of a few musical items. I thought he said he bought it new. The truss rod is nearly maxed out. Perhaps could be adjusted with a washer. The heel area of the fingerboard has a slight rise. The bass has no repairs or mods of which I am aware, it appears to be all original.

I have received a couple of helpful emails regarding this bass that attempt to clarify the date of manufacture. I appreciate the input and consequently, I am adding those observations here for full disclosure, and have reduced the selling price. One person noticed minor finish chipping around the neck plate, indicating the neck may have been previously removed. A couple of days ago, I removed the neck on this bass to look for a date stamp, and there is no visible date code on the heel. I know that the finish chipping was present before I removed the neck. The neck has a very tight fit. Based on the small amount of finish chipping around the edge of the neck plate, it is possible that the neck had been previously removed, or perhaps the chipping occurred when someone tightened the neck screws. One person indicated that the numbers on the pickups indicate they were manufactured perhaps in 1970. Another person identified the pots as from 1970. Perhaps the bass is a 1970, or perhaps newer 1970 pickups were installed in a 1968 bass. I am the second owner, so I can't verify.

Cash sale please. Not interested in trades at this time.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    R&B, d00dr, Rob L and 7 others like this.
  2. josh rosner

josh rosner

Dec 6, 2016

PM ME - LIVE IN NYC - LET's MAKE A DEAL

3. PM'ed

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  4. brichards

brichards

Dec 2, 2007
    Did you already sell the bass?

5. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Price dropped. This is a local sale. At this time, I am not shipping.

6. Brutus74

Brutus74 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Ohio
    Very cool

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022