Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1968 Fender Bassman Head

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Chef, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    $550 for as close to a new black face as you're likely to ever get...

Excellent condition, recently serviced. Model AA165, serial number A08136. This is an early silverface model, with a black faceplate, rebuilt to pre-cbs blackface specs and schematics.

NOS Sylvania 6L6's, sovtek 12ax7's. The 12 ax7's are in boxes right now, I've been running with 12AU7's to calm down the preamp section-I like real clean tone, and the preamp section drives harder than I like with the AX7's...

Service included
    1)clean & lube pots and switches, jacks, bias pot tube sockets and fuse holder.
    2)Rebuild phase inverter/driver and negative feedback loop using blackface circuitAA864 as guide for component values and placement.
    3) Rebuild bias circuit to true adjustable fixed bias circuit, pre-cbs specs. Replace bias feed resistors, bias cap, ground resistor, bias grid resistors, rewire bias pot for negative voltage mresurement.
    4) Rebuild bass channel to precbs specs, reduced treble, midrange and bass coupling caps for cleaner tighter low end bass response.
    5) Rebuild normal channel to pre-cbs blackface schematics.
    6)check rectifier circuit diodes.
    7)replace all power and preamp filter caps with new high quality Illinois and Sprague caps. Reflowed any suspect joints, replaced one ground wire with a 90 degree bend to replace it's suspect core.
    8)Reflow remaining solder joints throughout the amp.
    9) Install after testing NOS 6L6GC Sylvanias & test at full voltage-, matched tubes to within 2MA., bias at 31.5MA and 29.8MA, install new phase inverter 12AT7.
    10)INstall after testing 3 preamp tubes.
    11) After all this the amp tech I used tested all voltages, noise levels and tweaked some caps to tighten bass response, and reduce midrange response.
    12) Installed a 3 prong grounded power cord to prevent grounding issues.

This amp sounds great!. You won't find another bassman of this quality. I paid $350 for the head, and spent $250 on the service, I'd like to get $550 out of her...

2. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Front

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Rear

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Here's all the caps/resistors etc that got replaced. Imagine all the time it took to do this right...

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Aww sweet!

Reminds me of the '65 Bassman head I used about ten years ago..... wish I hadn't sold it.... aahh the regret...

(sorry about the useless post - I can't buy it because I'm in Norway. I hope it goes to a good home...)

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    No woories-thanks for the compliment-it is a sweet little head:)

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    bassman bump

8. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Just curious as to why your selling it after putting so much into it. I picked up a '68 AB165 a couple months ago and its without a doubt the sweetest sounding amp Ive owned. It's not very powerful but for coffe house, open mike, acoustic jams etc. this amp is unbeatable. You can patch the deep channel into the bright channel and mix them for an incredibly diverse palette of tones. If you need more volume,
    i had one of these made up. Its a tube amp direct output or TADPOLE. You plug it into one of the speaker outputs and its splits your signal into a speaker feed and steps it down for a direct line feed. Ive used this setup several times now in a fairly loud classic rock band and it sounds great.
    At any rate... Bump for a great vintage amp.

Attached Files:

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Jim, thanks for the gear tip!
    It is a sweet amp, but I'm playing mostly larger venues these days. I love it dearly, but want it to go to someone who will use it-it shouldn't be a closet queen!!!...Then I can finance something that will suit my current need better. I'm sure I'll regret it at some point...

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    bump

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yessir, old 50 watt model...prolly weighs 35lbs? I don't keep a scale at home:)

12. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    I weighed mine a while ago on a bathroom scale..@28-29lbs

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    bump from the past!

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Hey Smash;
    I'm at work so dimensions are strictly a guess, but it's gonna be something ~ 16 long x 8 wide x 8 tall...something like that. Small:)
    It has one handle on top, and it does still have the "things that latch it to the original speaker cabinet" underneath. The orignal cabs had a big knurled top cap screw kinda thing that would would unscrew some, and then attach these slotted plates under the amp head to, and then screw the screws back down...all this to keep the head from vibrating off:)