1968 Fender Precision Bass Worth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by williamstolz, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Hey all,

I recently got this old P bass, Pick ups are not original and an emg Jazz bass pup has been added. Everything else is original as far as I can tell.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    The replaced original pickup and the bridge pickup route greatly affect the value. The player wear also lowers it. If I were interested in such a bass I think 2-3k would be reasonable.

TalHaz and saabfender like this.
  3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That bass would be worth more parted out. The neck alone would bring in more than the entire bass.

4. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Routes are a no-no for me... I know they weren't 'vintage' back when people were installing pick ups in basses, but couldn't they have just bought a jazz bass as well? Doh....

5. JIO

JIO Be seeing you. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    At one time (and I know this is hard to imagine in todays consumer 'vintage value' world) a player did whatever they wanted to their (usually only) instrument. It was their instrument and nobody (no players at least) obsessed over vintage monetary value.

6. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I would think you need to pull the neck off and check for the date stamp on the heal. The headstock shape looks a little off to me. Particularly the curve outward past the logo. Also, the logo's waterslide decal edges are showing.

The serial number should be on the neck plate for that year, iirc. Without that, it loses significant value as it's would be considered to be a parts bass. The neck plate should have the Fender F logo as well.

Another concern in the photo is the bridge looks off for what I would expect for that year.

The wear pattern does not strike me as something I would expect. The place where I would consider likely worn by the thumbnail is far from the E string. Not that I've seen much thumbnail wear on Fenders than say, older Gibsons.

Usually, when I see thumbnail wear, its on vintage Gibsons that usually have a repaired neck.

The photos are scant and not great quality, but I would believe your first question should be whether that bass is an original 1968 pbass with the exception of the pickups (and likely the jack and knobs). Once you get that sorted out, it can be given a more accurate value.

Take off the pickguard and neck and post more detailed photos that are in focus.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    2kish id gueas

8. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Whatever it's worth, I like it.

9. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Just find out what an all original 68 P sells for, then cut that price in half for the added p/u rout.

TalHaz likes this.
  10. Yeah, there’s a couple of things that raise my eyebrow. The guard is beautiful but looks just a little too good for that age. It actually looks a lot like what Spitfire are selling. Also the jazz pup route looks impossibly good for an aftermarket job.

11. The Neck and is stamped and body/pick guard are all original, in terms of the pick up rout- I'm sure there would be plenty of luthiers around that are capable of routing a clean rectangular hole. Not sure what is meant my head stock shape ect. this is 100% a 1968 fender p bass. However, the parts I'm not sure about are the brass saddles and brass nut, I assume that these are aftermarket replacements??

12. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Brass nut and saddles are definitely non-original. Body, pickguard, neck, tuners, decal are all good.

13. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    I like it! Lollipops and the wear. and I'm sure the neck has a really nice feel. Would not sell... If it sounds right.

14. Thanks, Yeah I don't plan to sell the bass just wanted an idea of value. The bass is light weight and resonant, The neck feels great - luckily fender kept the thin nitro finish on their necks at this stage.

15. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Go on eBay, do an "advanced search" and see what other '68 Ps have sold for. That will give you a good idea of what the market value is.

16. thats heaps helpful thanks! I had no idea you can do that on ebay. Much appreciated!

17. The mods do hurt the resale value.
    However, as a player, I could see them as a plus.

18. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    The decal may have been replaced. It doesnt look like its in the right place. Id be trying to confirm its not a fake first...

19. oh so where should the decal on a real one be exactly? 28928167_10215302457465328_1942159452_o.jpg

20. oh so where should the decal on a real one be exactly?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022