For Trade 1968 Fender Telecaster Bass — certainly one of a kind! Trades? Video added

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by brennanmcnally, Aug 27, 2022.

1. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    C4A0C9C6-207F-4B91-B4C3-6E4997DEE060_1_201_a.jpeg

Let me start by saying: I absolutely love this bass, and I'm hardly expecting anything to come of posting it here because I'll be picky, but I wouldn't mind trading it (+ cash if needed) for another vintage P or J bass, Mustang Bass, or possibly a Hofner 500/1, Gibson EB-2D, or something else. Open to guitars too. Vintage only please! Shoot your shot before I decide to keep it forever and ever and be buried with it in a viking funeral!

Mint condition, completely all original '68 Tele Bass! Just kidding. Notice anything a little unusual? At some point in its past, the original pickup must have failed, and someone routed it for a really interesting humbucker setup — it's actually two Fralin hum-canceling '51 P Bass pickups under the Gibson EB pickup cover. The 3-way switch on the control panel chooses between either one individually or together in parallel. What's that? You wish you could put the pickups together in series for a high output humbucker? YOU CAN! Lift up the push/pull volume knob and it immediately switches to both pickups in series, no matter what the 3-way switch is set to. Then to get even weirder/more versatile, if you lift the tone knob, it turns the volume knob into a second tone control, with slightly different frequencies than the actual tone knob. Two tone controls. You can use them together to reaaaaaally tailor your tone for just the right thump-to-growl ratio. I've never seen anything else like it. Custom machined aluminum pickup surround ring, which weighs almost nothing. And the Fralin pickups sound absolutely huge and have a really pleasing top end, all with none of the hum of the original. You can get the single coil sweet spot sound, a little thumpier in the neck position (barely different, but you can tell), funky hi-fi in parallel, or pull up on the knob and get a big growly humbucker boost.

Big fat neck, TI Jazz Flats, balanced and not heavy at all original finish everywhere. Replacement bridge (I just put brass saddles on it that add a little presence to my ears; the original chrome ones you see in some pics are included). Original tuners/frets/everything on the neck. I have a white pickguard that came with it and was cut to fit the humbucker/control plate situation; no idea if it's the original pickguard or not. I don't think it is. (It isn’t.) Looks great, but I prefer the Dusty Hill no pickguard look on this baby. Those tan lines are hottttttt.

I love funky weird vintage stuff like this. So much character. If you have something else in the vintage world that's vibey and you like the cut of this Tele Bass's jib, shoot me a PM. Not for sale, just seeing what else is out there. You never know. Other players grade 60s Fenders could definitely do the trick, but try me with whatever vintage stuff ya got before I come to my senses and keep this badass slab of tone meat forever!

0FDD8280-DCF5-4949-88E8-251616FF6BC1_1_201_a.jpeg ED69057E-1228-428B-BB99-6AF2E4B26E04_1_201_a.jpeg B1B6EE40-B973-41BF-8576-2A87B3C328F4_1_201_a.jpeg
    880925E3-D4B8-4BFE-BFE5-D057520C009D_1_201_a.jpeg AA8E430F-775C-4E7D-B7EA-71C15F87C328_1_201_a.jpeg 4AA175EE-2433-4035-8D0E-A0923F56FDC0_1_105_c.jpeg 6E200C3F-FDCB-4DE4-90AD-31E1B3A53870_1_105_c.jpeg FDEE889A-D676-47F9-A5F7-FE8EF49CE39A_1_201_a.jpeg
    50E33AE4-2A96-4122-B7E8-04596C7B6E93_1_201_a.jpeg
    The three amigos. BBD540C8-15DE-4A4C-8E2F-48F41F61A779_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    IPA, JC Nelson, Matt Dean and 33 others like this.
  2. ariwax

ariwax Insonating the acoustic window Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    This right here is why I love Talkbass.

3. brennanmcnally

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Me too, bud. Me too.

ariwax likes this.
  4. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Wonderful bass and mods. Original pick guards for that vintage were single ply, so the white three ply one pictured is definitely new. And it looks excellent.

tblurker and brennanmcnally like this.
  5. brennanmcnally

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Aha! That’s what was throwing me off about it!

6. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    This is too much awesomeness! :bassist:

TN WOODMAN and brennanmcnally like this.
  7. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    That Jazz bass looks familiar. Nice collection

brennanmcnally likes this.
  8. brennanmcnally

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    My favorite of the bunch. So glad I grabbed it from you way back when!

Jackcrow likes this.
  9. MaccaMan1964

MaccaMan1964 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    Loving this bad boy! Wish it was for sale!

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mmmmm…. Tone meat.

11. brennanmcnally

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    USDA certified thump steak.

Marc DLarosa, dusterdan70 and Lo-E like this.
  12. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Had a somewhat similarly modded Tele bass [except the fancy schmacy wiring] that started my journey as a slabebrity over 30 years ago. Cool slabness there.

TN WOODMAN and brennanmcnally like this.
  13. brennanmcnally

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Once you get your first bite of slabby joe, and that tangy tone sauce gets all over your face… you start craving it every day. More slabby joes, more slabby joes… insatiable.

14. ebo

ebo

Jul 15, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Gibson EB-O, mid 60’s in trade? Pic in my avatar but can send better ones. Mine has mojo but yours is off the hook!

15. brennanmcnally

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I’m sure it rocks! I’ve had EB-0s before and found I just really need a bridge pickup with them personally. Appreciate the offer!

16. ebo

ebo

Jul 15, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    No worries!

17. Hey, that is one mojo-tastic instrument! What are you thinking as far as trade value?

18. brennanmcnally

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for the kind words! Really hard to say, there's nothing else like it. I will say that the better trade offers I've gotten (Fender Custom Shop, et al) have been in the $3500 range. Some awesome stuff, but I'm looking to keep it vintage!

sonicblue62 likes this.
  19. Smoothmove

Smoothmove Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Lebanon , Oregon
    Fantastic!! I wish I had something for you.
    I wish you well with your trade :thumbsup:

20. brennanmcnally

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Last bump! Gotten some real cool offers, but I think this is probably a keeper :)

TN WOODMAN likes this.