1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1968 Guild Thunderstar Bass amp - all tube!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by mellowgerman, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    1968 Guild Thunderstar Bass head.
    All original except for the tubes and the professionally installed, 3-prong grounded plug. Dual 6L6's put out roughly 50-55watts. Tubes have plenty of life left in them. Very light and compact for a tube amp... I'm guessing right around 30 lbs. Packs some serious punch though; super warm and lots of bottom end (unlike a lot of the competitors from the time). The leather on the handle is a bit tattered looking, but it is 100% solid. Couple dings and dents, but considering that this is a 41 year old amp, it's in great condition. No trades, please. Price is $375 shipped conus. If you're interested, let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Hear it here - nice and warm:

Here are some photos:
    dsc006532.
    DSC00655-1.

2. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    $400 shipped?

here are some more photos

1027091322a.
    1027091323a.
    1027091323b.

3. Is this still available?

4. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It is indeed still available.

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Trades?

6. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Sorry, I really just need the money. I got laid off the other day :(

7. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    still here.

8. I have this amps big brother and it is amazing. The best tone I've ever heard from any amp, ever. Amazing recording amp. These are only getting rarer and are still undervalued*, so get them now.

*for example: I paid about $200 (broken) for mine. For the same era, tone, and features, guys are paying 1 - $2000 for Marshalls, Hiwatts, etc.

Buy this amp now!!!

9. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    pricedrop!

$375 shipped conus.

10. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Does this thing get very dirty when cranked? I'm looking for a low wattage tube amp for practice/recording that can get dirty if need be.

11. ciubz

ciubz

Jan 30, 2005
    how does this sound comared to a ampeg b15 or b25?

12. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Hey guys. This amp has a beautiful overdrive when cranked. I can't say how it compares to a b15/25 since I don't have enough experience with them. I'll try to get some soundclips up in a few days when I get back home to NY

13. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    someone buy this for me.

14. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Here's a sound clip of the amp overdriven. I used my dearmond starfire (dark starred) and a custom cab with an EV 1x18 driver. To record it I used the free Audacity recording software and ran a normal microphone into my computer's line-in. As you can imagine it sounds 100x better in person (the line noise/hum is purely from the microphone as the amp is essentially silent), but this will give you an idea of what the amp is capable of. Keep in mind, different basses and different cabs will get you a different sound.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6824067237bb461d/

15. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    PM sent.

16. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    sold!

Thread Status: