1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1968 Telecaster bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ModulusQ5-122, May 11, 2011.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    as i stated earlier. they're 53-56 precision basses. NOT Tele basses.

2. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    ^ what he said.

More importantly: I'm waiting to see if the OP got the bass! C'mon....let's see some pics of the actual subject of this thread!

3. Sorry guys I havent been able to go get it yet but he is holding it for me. Is there any way to tell what kind of pickup is in it?

4. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Umm...a pic or a description. There are hundreds of models and dozens of styles among dozens of years.

5. So then what qualifies a telebass? is the Squier VM a true TB?
    100_1068.jpg

What about my last build?
    bassfjdklas-1.jpg

6. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, a 'true' tele bass is a 68' onwards slab bodied fender bass, with a one piece maple neck, small tele headstock with either one single coil pickup in the middle, or a fender humbucker at the neck and have string-thru 2 saddle brdiges.

7. Is string-through a necessary qualifier too?

I'm asking since I'm building a hybrid in the Tele-bass style for myself.

8. That's the Squier, almost exactly. The VM has a contoured body.

9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    for an authentic tele or early p bass, yes. early p basses had large string thru ferrules and tele basses had smaller ones.

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Really? And here it was I thought I had a good attitude! Particularly since I'm in the right.

Let me illuminate you on a couple things: Just because a bass is considered "vintage" now doesn't mean it was treated with respect 25 years ago. Which is likely when those mods took place. Tele basses weren't a top-of-the-line bass when they came out. They were a less expensive option to the Jazz and P-basses. This carried over to the used market. Usually people who bought them did so because they were cheaper. As such, they treated them like cheap basses. When they did mod these basses, these cash strapped individuals didn't use expensive hardware. They bought cheap pickups from the period and use them. So what's likely on that bass are inexpensive pickups from the 80's.

As far as the rout is concerned, it doesn't matter how big the rout is. If the body is routed, the collectibility of the body is shot. To salvage that body, one has fill the hole, rout the bass properly, and refinish the ENTIRE body. So what you end up with is a routed and refinned body that's worth much less than half what an unmolested body is worth. Considering that the filing/routing/refinishing will run around $500 - slightly more than the value of the body after the work is done - I think $75 is actually an overly optimistic appraisal of the value.

I hope this helped.

11. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    !?!? I don't recall mine having string thu at all...but the bridge is not stock, so that could be the reason. Next time I take it out of storage, I'll check the body for holes....

12. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    i had a modified 68 tele bass i sold on ebay about 3 years ago.i was hoping it would bring more $$ than it did (sold for $1250),as it was all original parts,with the following exceptions:
    extreme upper body contour routing front and back (a great thing,actually not a slab fan)
    refinished in classic butterscotch pro job
    original pickup replaced by schecter tele bass pu
    new pickguard
    personally i think the buyer got a sweet deal-it was an awesome bass-i paid less than that for it, but discovered the neck was not for me. (i'm more of ric player)
    i think it would be hard to go wrong for $750 unless it is REALLY buggered up.

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Functionally, no. I've built several with top-load only.

Here's one so you can see what it might look like:

[​IMG]

Historic accuracy would require string-through, IMO.

Historic accuracy would also require a square neck heel and metal knobs but I wasn't going for historic accuracy. However, it now sports a Fender '51 RI pickup which is more historically correct than the Lace Alumitone shown in the picture.

14. That works pretty good for me.

I've got parts coming and I'll cut my own body - it MAY have contours though as I don't care for such sharp
    body edges.

So far I've bought and/or waiting for delivery of::

Chrome tuners (I don't like nickel),
    4 Barrel Chrome bridge (I don't like nickel),
    OE style p'up,
    Chrome control panel (I don't like nickel),
    Maple/Maple narrow head neck,
    Fender white pickguard,
    Chrome string tree (I don't like nickel),
    Pots & cap,
    Chrome/Abalone inlaid knobs (I don't like nickel),,
    Chrome screws (I don't like nickel),,
    Both Tele Fender Chrome covers (I don't like nickel),
    Chrome jack plate (I don't like nickel),
    Chrome Duncan dual locks,
    ...............and another set of my favorite MII 7250 NPS strings.

Like I mentioned b4, this is gonna be a green body.

Lessee - a headstock decal would be nice too.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

Aren't those strings...um...like...you know...nickel plated?

16. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    $1250 does sound like a good deal for your Tele bass.

17. Mongo go away now.

Mongo bad.

:spit:

18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Haven't we all seen plenty of routed-up vintage Fender bodies on ebay? When was the last time any 60's Fender body sold for $75? That sounds like a cool bass the OP is looking at.

19. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    all vintage tele basses were string-thrus. the stock bridge doesn't allow top loading.

and yes, as stated above, the neck's heel is square. i think it looks strange (as im goofy) on a tele bass when they're not.

1968:

68telebass-1.jpg

1971:
    71tele-2.jpg

20. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Ok.

That has no relevance with this bass. Also, you're assuming the mods that were made were made 25 years ago. Pictures would solve the issue, but the issue is less about the hardware and more about your assessment of the value of the Fender body, which is terribly incorrect. I'll have to get to that shortly (gah...why do I always get roped into these long-winded posts!)

Shot? No. Depreciation? Yes.

So, this bass body in unmolestest original condition is worth $150??? Besides, no one HAS to do anything you just said.

LOL.

It didn't help. It was largely a bunch of hogwash.

But I digress. You don't happen to have some vintage routed Fender bodies laying around, do you? $75 each???? Make sure you save them for me!