1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1968 Telecaster bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ModulusQ5-122, May 11, 2011.

1. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    JohnK I never noticed the second version of Telebasses had rounded neck heels. Guess 'cause I never looked closely at them. The education continues.

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    $1,250 for that bass is an ok deal. But for the guy who paid - let's say $750 - for that bass, and THEN contoured the body, had it professionally refinished, put on a new pickguard and installed a new pickukp... that's not so great a deal. At that point, you've put $500-$600 into a $750 bass and if you were lucky you broke even.

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    No, it's pretty much fact. But some people can't be helped.

Love your astute retort, by the way.

4. Actually, a 1968 body, routed and refined and everything is a STEAL at 75 bucks. Have you been on Ebay lately?

5. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    l.

similar to what you are looking at. 1968/69 tele bass. Body refinish, new pick guard, new bridge, and new pickup, but no body route.

6. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    How do you use that function??? I'm trying to learn about a cool bass here!

I don't know much about these basses, but I have had the pleasure of meeting both the single coil version and the humbucker version. Both were thoroughly splendid instruments - huge necks, built like tanks and sweet, sweet tones (although very different IIRC). I guess you just take it as it comes, if it's there to be a museum piece then avoid it if it's had mods done. If it's there to play and enjoy then use your own judgement and decide for yourself if it's worth the dough.

7. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Thanks. Judging by your absolute lack of being able to argue against anything I said, I'll just take the "I'm right because I said so" as your concession. But you can keep rambling your point.

ps - did you find any routed vintage Fender bodies laying around?!?!? $75 I'll take em all!

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Considering that most of your replies are two sentences long, you're giving yourself an awful lot of credit.

I'll try to keep it brief for you. *Just because something is old doesn't mean it's worth a lot of money*

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    You're in the wrong thread. Go here.

10. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    According to "The Fender Bass: an illustrated history" 1968 necks were 2 piece with a "capped" maple board, with some one-piece necks later in that year. Both styles of tuners were used and some early ones had a different logo on the headstock. The early guards were one-piece white nitrocellulose that had a nasty habit of "gassing" and corroding the screws & other metal parts, which is why originals are nearly non-existant.

I had a chance to play a 1968 a couple of years ago in a vintage music store. It was fairly heavy but played great and sounded cool. The only reason it didn't come home with me was the over 3 grand price tag! :bassist:

11. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    They don't need to be long. You're wrong. My reply that was longer than two sentences you completely ignored. Would you like me to show you the laundry list of pre-1980 Fender guitars and basses that are routed and go for hundreds of dollars? Nobody said they were worth "alot of money". But everyone knows they ain't worth "$75". You're stuck in the 1990's.

Please, bro. Find me a few and I'll buy them for....$100!! There, you're getting a good deal!

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Did you not see my reply. Go back and re-read this thread.

In the meantime, see if you can find me some examples of pre-1980 Tele bass bodies that *sold* for gobs of dough. Don't link me to people *asking* for high prices. Show me bodies that *sold* for high dollars that were butchered.

13. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    That's got me told. Excuse me, i have to go be humble somewhere else...

14. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Click on the MyTalkbass tab at the top of the page. Then, look for the Control Panel on the left, and down near the bottom is the Buddy/Ignore List tab. The Ignore List function allows you to designate TBers whose posts you simply don't want to read.

For example, let's say there's somebody who I think is profoundly disrespectful, combative and downright ignorant. I add them to the list, and if they post to a thread I'm reading, TB collapses the post at that thread and hides their post. It also notifies me that the disrespectful person has posted, and gives me the option to read the post if I wish (with or without removing them from the Ignore list) or move on as if they didn't even exist.

It makes TB just a little more pleasant, since I can idenify and edit out certain people who routinely act like idiots.

15. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I read them all. I evaluated them all. YOU go re-read this thread. /facepalm :rollno:

So now...once again, I NEVER said they sold for "gobs of dough". I said they sold for more than $75. Is that your only way to continue this futile belief that you're right? By twisting the story? Ugh...:scowl:

16. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    What did I ask you to do...??? Now go do it.

17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    ^^ This made me laugh out loud.

18. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    Thank you, duke12. Much obliged sir.

19. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Ah, judging by your gear list, I'd assume you're pretty knowledgeable. Too bad your arrogance negates your ability to convey knowledge in a purposeful manner.

20. The Tele basses actually listed for more than the P or J basses. Just re-read some book on Fender basses. I'm putting together a '51/Tele style bass and been doing some research and was surprised to note that. so they weren't a cheap bass.