1969 AMpeg Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Aug 17, 2005.

1. In 1969 did they make 100 watt bass heads, 300 watt ones, or both?

2. Both I believe. The V4B and the SVT.

3. I think so, too. I think 1969 was the first year for the SVT.

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Was the V-4B released at the same time as the SVT?

5. Not sure about the V4B being made in 69. I can't remember ever seeing a blueline one. SVTs and B25b were available in 69 for sure.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Chariot has a blue line V-4B but that doesnt necessarily mean its from 69 I would think. Check out the "post pictures of your ampeg" thread.

edit: my bad its not blue... :rolleyes: :p

7. Yeah, every V4 I've seen has been a Maggie.

8. Just to add . . . '69 SVTs utilized a different tube which I can't recall the model, with a connector to the top of the bottle (unless it's been converted to use 6550s). Can't say about the V4B.

Attached Files:

• SVT.GIF
      SVT.GIF
      File size:
      11.7 KB
      Views:
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    According to my copy of "Ampeg - The story behind the sound" by Hopkins/Moore, in 1969, the tube bass heads were the SVT and B25-B. The V4-B didn't come out until 1971.

The early SVT heads used the 6146 power tubes...

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Thaaaar she blooows!

Yeah I kinda geeked out on the history of the V4B/V4 after I purchased mine.... I dont think they came about till the Early 70's. Which should definately put mine in the Mag era, I believe.

Attached Files:

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The book shows a table of when different products were released...the V4 (guitar head) came out in 1970 followed by the V4-B (the bass version) in 1971.

I still remember the first time (in about 1974 as a 15 year old) when I walked into the "Ampeg room" at the nearest store to my home that carried Ampegs...the sight and smell were wonderful!!!! I don't think that I was brave enough to actually turn them on though!!! :)

The other "big" music store in the area carried Acoustic and Marshall..as much as I craved owning an SVT or a 371, my most religious amplifier experience was coming face to face with a real-live full Marshall stack!!!!