Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1969 AMpeg Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Aug 17, 2005.

1. In 1969 did they make 100 watt bass heads, 300 watt ones, or both?

2. Both I believe. The V4B and the SVT.

3. I think so, too. I think 1969 was the first year for the SVT.

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Was the V-4B released at the same time as the SVT?

5. Not sure about the V4B being made in 69. I can't remember ever seeing a blueline one. SVTs and B25b were available in 69 for sure.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Chariot has a blue line V-4B but that doesnt necessarily mean its from 69 I would think. Check out the "post pictures of your ampeg" thread.

edit: my bad its not blue... :rolleyes: :p

7. Yeah, every V4 I've seen has been a Maggie.

8. Just to add . . . '69 SVTs utilized a different tube which I can't recall the model, with a connector to the top of the bottle (unless it's been converted to use 6550s). Can't say about the V4B.

Attached Files:

• SVT.GIF
      SVT.GIF
      File size:
      11.7 KB
      Views:
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    According to my copy of "Ampeg - The story behind the sound" by Hopkins/Moore, in 1969, the tube bass heads were the SVT and B25-B. The V4-B didn't come out until 1971.

The early SVT heads used the 6146 power tubes...

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Thaaaar she blooows!

Yeah I kinda geeked out on the history of the V4B/V4 after I purchased mine.... I dont think they came about till the Early 70's. Which should definately put mine in the Mag era, I believe.

Attached Files:

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The book shows a table of when different products were released...the V4 (guitar head) came out in 1970 followed by the V4-B (the bass version) in 1971.

I still remember the first time (in about 1974 as a 15 year old) when I walked into the "Ampeg room" at the nearest store to my home that carried Ampegs...the sight and smell were wonderful!!!! I don't think that I was brave enough to actually turn them on though!!! :)

The other "big" music store in the area carried Acoustic and Marshall..as much as I craved owning an SVT or a 371, my most religious amplifier experience was coming face to face with a real-live full Marshall stack!!!!