1969 Ampeg Portaflex B-12XTC HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by carbonfold, Mar 20, 2011.

1. carbonfold

carbonfold Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    Ok, so I came across this amp for sale (that I'm thinking about buying) and curious has anyone ran this thing through as a bass rig. Also, anyone know what these things normally go for?

I think it is a 1969 Ampeg B-12XTC

Portaflex fliptop with 4x12 cab. Anyone have any info on this thing?

Crappy photos but this is what I'm working with at the moment.

7cb383c8.jpg

a7dc85bd.jpg

420e3ec4.jpg

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    They're kind of rare, so price is hard to say. I think the only time I've seen one (besides in the ampeg book) was on here, once. I've played the 2x12 version, and it was ok, but I think they're geared more towards guitar.

3. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    +1

I've seen one that surfaced on E-bay a couple of times. It was in really nice shape, and was a little pricey.

4. Fredmant

Fredmant

Mar 24, 2012
    I used to have one of those. The speakers had huge 4" voice coil caps. So who knows it might have been okay for bass. I think they were CTS brand speakers. That's probably the same as made pots for fender and others. I regret selling that amp now but it was a bitch to get around to jam sessions if that was your only amp! So mine is probably still in Sao Paulo Brazil where I sold it to Rita Lees guitar player

Along with my SG. Another regret :)

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021