1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1969 fender telecaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Bowers, May 17, 2017.

1. Chris Bowers

Chris Bowers

Mar 22, 2017
    Maryland
    '69 Telecaster Bass Trying to put a value on this bass I,d like to get. He wants $2900 but its a re-finish without original case and the bridge cover doesn't look right although he said that that's what was on it when he bought it in 72. I'm in the collecting stage and don't have any fenders at all and they seem to go up in value pretty quick. I would definately play this in a classic rock band I sub for that does all late 60's early 70's stuff but it would hang on a hook most of the time. I was born in 1969 so I thought now or never since they go up so fast but I'm thinking maybe $2400 is fair, what do you think?

2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Tele Bass from any era is not as easy to sell as its P or J counterpart. Given the refin job, I'd say he's about a grand above the market.

GC online has a '69 for $2500 but I haven't seen it in person, let alone played it.

My $0.02 only...

3. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I recently picked a Refinished 1969 Tele bass. It was actually more of a Restoration than a Refin.
    SOLD - 1969 Telecaster Bass (Refinish / SD Antiquity / OHSC)

I think for an "Original" 1st Gen Tele $2500 is the Sweet Spot, and they go up and down from there. For a Refin, $2000 seems to be what I've been seeing. I have a '73 that I refinished, and that's about what I would value that one at.

And that would be my $0.02...

4. Chris Bowers

Chris Bowers

Mar 22, 2017
    Maryland
    Thanks guys, I might go see it this weekend and keep your opinions and advice up front. Apparantly the body paint was redone but all else original. I'm looking at the tele's because the p's and j's for 69 are to much

5. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    IMG_1377.JPG Bridge cover definitely not original, looks like it's from a Gibson EB-2. Case is definitely not Fender. There are a lot of refin first generation Tele basses, probably because when the nitrate pickguard started to off-gas and fall apart, they usually took out the finish on the body, and sometimes on the heel of the neck. Here's my '68 with the original covers and a Sherwood Green refin...

A-Step-Towards likes this.
  6. Chris Bowers

Chris Bowers

Mar 22, 2017
    Maryland
    cool bass, thanks for the input. Yea I was pretty sure the bridge cover wasn't original, I did see one on ebay for $125 and I do have a 74 ripper that needs a cover it might work on that. Gonna go see this 69 tommorrow and all this info from you guys helps, thanks.

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Probably one of the best basses for playing outdoor shows IMO. It kicks out this big fat low boom that doesn't get lost when you're playing a festival or similar venue.

@Chris Bowers - P.S. You got a '74 Ripper? Awesome! That's was my first real bass. Bought it new in '74 and I'm still rocking it as my main bass today despite owning nine other basses. :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    ajkula66 and Rattman like this.
  8. I had a 1970's version of the Telecaster bass I bought new...the ONLY Fender bass I felt comfortable playing because of it's great, fast neck...sold it long ago...IIRC, new it was around $300...I would not pay 2 grand for one, period.