1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1969 fretless jazz bass neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Frederickbass, Oct 3, 2008.

1. So yep, I got this 1969 fretless jazz bass neck under my bed since the beginning of summer. I wanna add it to a 1975 jazz bass body and slowly make it my main baby for gigs and jazz college.

Would it be easy for a luthier to refretted or would i just kill this awesome vintage piece ?

thanks in advance

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    A picture of this neck would answer alot of questions.

The reason I say that is because there supossedly were no fretless Jazzes in 1969. The first fretless was the Precision in 1970. The Fender book shows a couple of prototype fretless Jazzes that were made, but it never made the catalog option, only the Precision did.

The prototype J's had blank rosewood boards and no block inlays, but still had the white binding.
    If your neck still has blocks, then it was originally fretted. -or- if it has no binding, then somone replaced the fretboard at one time.

3. it was originally fretted

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Then the value doesn't matter. It would be worth more with the frets put back in.
    Yes a luthier can easily refret the neck again.

5. thank you =D OH YEAH IM GONNA ROCK THIS PIECE OUT